Guest Guest

w/h docs: Calif. law v fed. subpoena

Guest Guest

Fresno County is being sued for due process violations under section 1983. A county judge ordered the DA's office to notify federal authorities about the international child abduction of my son. However, the DA's office sent me a letter stating it was their opinion the judge did not have jurisdiction, but the non-hague foreign country did. A BS story of course since custody was decided in the same county. My attorney and I discovered documents between the DA offices of Fresno County and San Diego County about my son and the abduction. So San Diego was subpoenaed for those files. San Diego says they won't under Family Code 17514, which says:

(a) It is the intent of the Legislature to protect
individual rights of privacy, and to facilitate and enhance the
effectiveness of the child abduction and recovery programs, by
ensuring the confidentiality of child abduction records, and to
thereby encourage the full and frank disclosure of information
relevant to all of the following:
(1) The establishment or maintenance of parent and child
relationships and support obligations.
(2) The enforcement of the child support liability of absent
parents.
(3) The enforcement of spousal support liability of the spouse or
former spouse to the extent required by the state plan under Section
17400, and Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 4800) of Part 5 of
Division 9.
(4) The location of absent parents.
(5) The location of parents and children abducted, concealed, or
detained by them.
(B) (1) Except as provided in this subdivision, all files,
applications, papers, documents, and records, established or
maintained by any public entity for the purpose of locating an
abducted child, locating a person who has abducted a child, or
prosecution of a person who has abducted a child shall be
confidential, and shall not be open to examination or released for
disclosure for any purpose not directly connected with locating or
recovering the abducted child or abducting person or prosecution of
the abducting person.

My due process case is loosely connected to a child abduction case. Would it take a writ of mandamas from the federal court (Eastern Dist. of CA) to order San Diego to release those papers (San Diego is located in the Southen Dist. of CA), or is there a better way?

Please email your answer to *****

[this post has been edited to remove personal information -moderator]

"A county judge ordered the DA's office to notify federal authorities about the international child abduction of my son. However, the DA's office sent me a letter stating it was their opinion the judge did not have jurisdiction, but the non-hague foreign country did."

Jurisdiction to do what? Obviously, a California superior court judge (which is what I assume you mean by "county judge") has jurisdiction to order a county DA to notify federal authorities, and, equally as obviously, no foreign court has such jurisdiction, so that can't be what you're talking about.

"My due process case is loosely connected to a child abduction case. Would it take a writ of mandamas from the federal court (Eastern Dist. of CA) to order San Diego to release those papers (San Diego is located in the Southen Dist. of CA), or is there a better way?"

First of all, I'm not sure why you're even asking these questions if you have a lawyer. Does your lawyer not know how to enforce a subpoena?! If he doesn't, you need a new one. I also don't know why you would think you'd need to go to a federal court. If the deponent is declining to produce documents that are responsive to a subpoena, you need to file a motion to compel.

×
×