Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Trial

Guest Guest

Can I file a civil suit against the prosecuters office if I was not given a choice of jury trial or hung trial. The prosecuting atty office never gave me a choice. What procedures do I take?

It is almost impossible to give a reasonable answer with this little information to go on, but generally speaking a civil suit against the prosecutor is not an option.

First, the options given to an accused are typically jury trial (jury hears the evidence) or bench trial (judge hears the evidence), but the jury trial option is not required by law in all situations.

In order to help find accurate information for you, please elaborate on your situation. What kind charges were you facing (infraction/ misdemeanor/ felony)? Were you represented by an attorney or did you consult with a public defender? Did you plead to an offense?

Guest Guest

It would help to know if this was a federal or state charge, and if it was a state charge, in what state this occurred. It would also help to know what kind of crime you were charge with. Also, were you represented by an attorney?

In general, though, you‘d have no claim against the prosecutor. The prosecutor is not the one that decides whether you get a jury or bench trial. (A bench trial is a trial without a jury — the judge decides the verdict.) Unless the charge you faced was very minor with no chance of jail/prison time, you have the right to a jury in a criminal case. somes state, a jury is presumed unless you file a waiver of the jury and ask for a bench trial. Other states may have you file a request for a jury trial. In any event, it is not up to the prosecutor (or anyone else) to tell you what you need to do for a jury trial. If you represent yourself, it is up to you to find out what you need to do. If you were represented by an attorney, he or she should have taken care of that.