Sign in to follow this  
podaharski

Religious Corporation Laws

I have inherited 4 gravesites (plots) in Troy, New York (Roman Catholic Church). These were purchased and paid for in the early 1940's. My mother and father relocated to California in the 50's and their wishes were to be cremated and scattered at sea out here. As I am an only child, with no ties to New York, I was informed by the church that there is nothing to be done with them. I have explained to them that there are no living relatives in NY, I myself have no desire to be buried in NY, and that I have a disabled son (also an only child), in which these would be of no use. Although the church insisted that nothing could be done with them, they refused to put this into writing. Any ideas on what could be done with them? I have the original documentation (title and receipt). I just cannot believe that they will sit and not be used, when they can either be sold or donated. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.