Sign in to follow this  
Jossxm

Human Rights violation

For a school project I am researching on illigal trading and human rights violations in Africa. A professor told me that there are an number of cases against American company's for violating human rights through the import of natural resources from Africa.

Does anybody know where I can find these cases?

Thanks in advance.

Michiel Stol

The Netherlands

Hope you get some help here- You need to go to your state on findlaw- v and then choose cases and codes tab

However, Findlaw has modified its site so I find it impossible to find cases under "cases and codes" unless you have the citation # - or name of a party. Well if I had that data, I could go straight a particular case. But if you are trying to find cases using a "text" search - good luck!

I asked a similar question here and it has 25 views and no answers. So I'm giving up.

Probably the legal minds here think we are just looking for a lawyer.........Who knows - we might be, but we need to research the issues of our cases first.

Good luck

####razputin

Thanks for the tip.

I do have some names of parties. The problem is that I donĀ“t know in which state these cases were tried. So I just have to try different states I guess.

Anyway, thanks again.

Guest Guest

Those cases would not be U.S. cases. The U.S. does not have law that views importation of natural resources from another country as a violation of "human rights." Either items are allowable for import (perhaps with a customs duty) or they are banned from import by statute. The kinds of cases you are probably looking for would be in the countries where the raw materials were taken.

Guest Guest

One other possible area to look under are embargo laws. I don't specialize in this area so I'm afraid I can't directly point you in the exact area but I know the U.S. has, at least in the past, established embargos against certain countries (ie Cuba) and also prohibited companies from doing business with them. So its possible that there are cases of African countries being blacklisted and the U.S. gov't going after companies trying to get around those restrictions.

Best of luck.