Sign in to follow this  
yix

Does My Employer Have to Accommodate My Ergonomic Keyboard Request in CA?

I am currently working at an insurance agency, and I use the keyboard and mouse everyday provided by my employer. However, the keyboard and mouse are very stiff and extremely uncomfortable. My right wrist and fingers started feeling uncomfortable lately. I bought named brand ergonomic keyboard and mouse from Amazon and wrote an email request to HR to get approval to replace my current ones.

HR told me the company policy did not allow employees to bring or use their own equipment, and the IT department director suggested the reason was because my posture was incorrect. 

Many other co-workers with seniority were able to replace their keyboard, mouse, monitors, chairs, etc. I do not think accommodating ergonomic request and prevent repetitive stress injuries have anything to do with seniority. Is my request too much? Or my employer is responsible to accommodate? Thank you!

Unfortunately, unless you have a disability, discomfort doesn't obligate your employer to accommodate you.

Now, if you went to a doctor and got diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (which may actually account for your wrist and hand discomfort), you would likely be entitled to the accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Do any of your fingers get numb? If they do, it could very well be Carpal Tunnel or Radial Nerve Impingement, depending on which fingers. Look it up.

I worked in insurance all my life, typing on a typewriter back in the day, then on a computer keyboard in later years. I had mild Carpal Tunnel for decades.