Jeana

Is this extortion?

A family member refused to sign a property title transaction unless I paid $3684 to settle a 3 year old debt of $770. I paid and they signed. Is this extortion?

1 hour ago, Jeana said:

No.

It's also called "having you over a barrel."

1 hour ago, Jeana said:

Not even close. You did not mention the state, and that matters because not all states even have a crime called extortion. But among those that do extortion is generally the use or threat of violence or some other illegal act or threat of an illegal act in order to get something of value from you. So if the family member put a gun to your head and said you had to pay up that would either be extortion or robbery. But demanding that you settle up an old debt before signing off off on the deed is a completely legal thing to do. If you didn't want to do that you could have refused to pay. But then you wouldn't have got his/her signature that you wanted. So you decided you wanted the signature badly enough to pay on that debt. That was your choice. That you didn't like the choice doesn't make it illegal. As RetiredinVA stated, it's simply negotiating.

×
×