Acorn

Bank mistakenly took my money, won’t return it.

I have a question regarding the legality of a bank  mistakenly taking my money and giving it to someone else. 

Last month someone with a name very similar to mine withdrew money from what she assumed was her account. The banker instead gave her my money. This caused a lot of trouble and I couldn’t pay most of my bills and am behind on everything after nearly getting evicted. When I had finally found out what had happened I called the bank and tried to get my money back but they told me an investigation had to be done. I’ve been calling since last month and we keep going in circles with the “investigation” still going on and there’s nothing they can do until it’s finished. They won’t tell me how long it’ll take and a month later I’m still right where I started. 

I’d like to know if there’s anything I can actually do to get it back. 

(Sorry if this is a train wreck everything’s been crazy since then)

23 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Last month someone with a name very similar to mine withdrew money from what she assumed was her account. The banker instead gave her my money.

Please clarify what this means.  It's not as though banks have stacks of money that are labeled with people's names such that "the banker" gave "Jon" money from "John's" pile.

24 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I’d like to know if there’s anything I can actually do to get it back.

Is there some reason to believe the bank's investigation will not result in you getting your money back?

16 minutes ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

There's your problem.  Get off the phone and into the bank and talk to a bank officer.

I’ve been in the bank multiple times trying to get answers. I get the same results as i did on the phone. 

33 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

Please clarify what this means.  It's not as though banks have stacks of money that are labeled with people's names such that "the banker" gave "Jon" money from "John's" pile.

Is there some reason to believe the bank's investigation will not result in you getting your money back?

I’m sorry Ill try to explain better. I’m not very smart so forgive me if I don’t know proper terms or am not giving enough information

The banker took money from my online checking account and gave it to the girl withdrawing the money in the bank. We both have very similar names. She even had my account number written on one of the generic bank withdrawal slips. 

I only assumed that because cause I’ve gotten no information or updates on the case and nobody has contacted me to explain any of this. I most likely will get it back eventually. 

16 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

How much money is at issue, an in what state did this occur?

It was $2500. I know it’s not much but it’s what I live off of.  I’m Mesa, Arizona

9 minutes ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

Who did you talk to at the bank?  Not their name, their title.

His title was a branch manager. He gave me the same runaround saying that there wasn’t anything he can do at that point in time but that he would personally call me once the investigation concluded. 

13 minutes ago, Acorn said:

His title was a branch manager. He gave me the same runaround saying that there wasn’t anything he can do at that point in time but that he would personally call me once the investigation concluded. 

Next time you go in (and that should be soon) you ask that branch manager who is boss is and how to contact him or her.  You should also have a print out from your online access of the counter check that was cashed on your account along with one that you have actually signed do show them the difference.  Also while you are there you should ask for a copy of the signature card you signed when you opened the account. 

You're in small claims territory.  If you get to the point where you feel like you're being jerked around, file a small claims suit.

Also read through your account agreement to make sure you've complied with any requirements contained in that agreement.

Look at your bank's website and see if they have a phone number for you to call for customer service or complaints.

Have you filed a police report about this incident?

Look at the website for the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions and see if you meet the qualifications for filing a complaint about a bank.