goattalker

Animals at large

It could and likely should be considered Aggravated Cruelty to Livestock Animal; TENN. CODE ANN. § 39-14-217

But that isn't going to help the horse much if it gets out and get shot or hit by a truck.  Take the steps needed to keep your horse on your property.

In general, no.  

Take a look at Tennessee Code section 39-14-205. 

It is a criminal offense to kill someone else’s animal without the owners consent, except if the animal is at the time believed likely to kill or seriously hurt a person or another animal. 

39-14-202 might apply if the shot doesn’t kill the horse 

Edited by MiddlePart
Realized I left something out

I seriously doubt Tennessee or any other state allows folks to shoot horses (or any other animals) simply because the animal has gotten out of its cage/pen/stable/corral.  That would be awfully absurd, don'tcha think?

Do you have reason to believe your horse is likely to "get out" or that any neighbor is likely to shoot it if it does?

22 hours ago, pg1067 said:

I seriously doubt Tennessee or any other state allows folks to shoot horses (or any other animals) simply because the animal has gotten out of its cage/pen/stable/corral.  That would be awfully absurd, don'tcha think?

Do you have reason to believe your horse is likely to "get out" or that any neighbor is likely to shoot it if it does?

Tuesday 8/27/2019, at feeding time 6:30 AM it was noticed that Mr. Liberty was not in his field. We continued to feed the goats at at about 7:00 AM I went back with the tractor to check the fence for his possible escape route and direction of travel. All fences were intact and erect. While I was back there a sheriffs deputy pulled up to the house and informed my hubby that my horse was down the road and a "neighbor" had shot and killed him.

The news hit me like a brick. When I was told it was the neighbor whom we (I) have had a feud with since 2009 I saw red. The story is My horse is (was) a 12 year old registered Tennessee Walker gated stallion, I raised him from a foal, trained him to ride, and rode him up until my hip went out. I could do anything to this horse, he was such a calm gentleman.

When we got to the place there was the, we call him daddy dickhead, a couple other people and 2 deputies. My beautiful baby was caught in a small catch pen, a lead rope was clipped to his halter (he was wearing a flymask and his halter) and tied to the rail. The daddy dickhead stated that Liberty had gotten into his field, one of his mares was in heat, and was chasing them around. I don't know at what point the dickheads felt threatened but they stated that this corralled, tied up horse frightened them so out of fear the little dickhead (daddy dickheads son, who is also a pedophile) put a bullet not dead center of his forehead but lower in his sinus/nose area. Then they called the law.

The dickheads stated they did not know whose hose it was, but they knew where to tell the deputies to go. Remember those times? Mr. Liberty was shot at 6:45 AM. He was still warm even in the rain when we got to him. The dickheads knew full well it was my horse. They executed my horse as revenge against me.

Prosecution is up to the local prosecutor.  You can certainly sue for damages.  It would probably be better if you did not refer to the offenders as "dickheads" when you discuss the matter with the sheriff or distric attorney.

55 minutes ago, goattalker said:

Can someone tell me of the penalty for livestock at large?

2010 Tennessee Code
Title 44 - Animals And Animal Husbandry
Chapter 8 - Fences and Confinement
Part 4 - Running at Large
44-8-401 - Livestock not to run at large Punishment.

44-8-401. Livestock not to run at large Punishment.

(a)  It is unlawful for the owners of any livestock, as livestock is commonly known and defined, to willfully allow the livestock to run at large in this state.

(b)  A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

[Acts 1947, ch. 52, § 1; C. Supp. 1950, § 5087.1 (Williams, § 5077.1); T.C.A. (orig. ed.), §§ 44-1401, 44-8-101; Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 113.]