Sign in to follow this  
Khalidevil19

Police entered on welfare check, charged me with possession

On June 6, 2019 around 9am police entered my residence in Idaho on a welfare check. I was asleep in my room, but when confronted I was told they were shouting “sheriffs office” looking for my landlord, the owner of the house. At the time I was visiting my boyfriend, from Washington, and did not officially live there. They entered my room and proceeded to tell me they were “expecting a dead body” somewhere within the house. I sleep naked and having just woke up, I was entirely naked. They saw my bong on the table and asked me if that was why I hadn’t answered their shouts. I said I had been asleep. They asked me how much marijuana was in the room and I said there were a few joints but that was it. One of the police officers, there were two, handed me some clothes and stepped out so I could dress, leaving the door cracked. Upon re-entering the room I was told I had two choices: I could either be arrested and taken down to the station while they obtained a warrant, or I could let them freely search the room. I agreed to let them search freely. The confiscated all marijuana within the room as well as the bongs (2) and the pipe. They charged me with two misdemeanors: possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. Seeing as they were there to do a welfare check, and I was naked while being questioned, as well as being threatened with arrest, I was wondering if any of my rights had been violated and if I have a potential case against the police in court? I have never had any convictions prior to this incident. 

1 hour ago, Khalidevil19 said:

I was wondering if any of my rights had been violated

No.

if I have a potential case against the police in court?

No.

I have never had any convictions prior to this incident. 

You mean you've never been caught before.

Hire a lawyer.

if I have a potential case against the police in court?

I just noticed that question.

The absolute best outcome you would get from the court is that the results of the search would be thrown out. You did not win the lottery.

On June 6, 2019 around 9am police entered my residence in Idaho on a welfare check. I was asleep in my room, but when confronted I was told they were shouting “sheriffs office” looking for my landlord, the owner of the house. At the time I was visiting my boyfriend, from Washington, and did not officially live there.

This is awfully confusing.  First you say that the "police entered my residence," but then you say that you were only visiting your boyfriend and didn't actually live there (not sure what "officially live there" might mean).  You also said they were "looking for my landlord," but if you didn't live there, then it wasn't your landlord.  I ask these questions not to nit pick; it is critically important to the legal issue you've raised.

Also, in what state did this happen?