Aubrachjoey47

Can I break my lease due to roaches?

I signed a lease in Hamilton county Ohio starting 8/25/19. I was moving here from out of state so began physically residing at the residence 9/3/19. I noticed that the unit (4 units total in building) is infested with cockroaches. I have seen many of them in groups, and in daylight. I sprayed roach repellent myself and have removed all food from the cupboards. I signed this lease unaware of the problem and it was clearly here before I was. Even with treatment, I have no interest in renting here as I have a child who is 5 and know that it can be nearly impossible in some cases to solve a problem like this (especially in an older building which is not that well kept up on maintenance wise as it is). I had issues since before I even moved in. I would like to be refunded my deposit and move elsewhere. What do I do? 

You can pretty much forget your security deposit (and could even be sued) if you move out without seeking legal remedies with proper written notifications.

I suggest you study up on the Ohio landlord tenant statutes with regard to landlord obligations, habitability, and your remedies for the landlord's failure to comply.

https://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2018/title-53/chapter-5321/

Meantime, call the city or county health department and report the infestation.

×
×