Sign in to follow this  
bluetiger82

Access bodycam footage of my assault

The incident occurred in Commerce City, CO. I was assaulted by a police officer, and taken to the hospital for taser and baton injuries. I have some minor damage to the ligament in my thumb, extensive bruising and aggravated tendinitis. I was never arrested, no one was, as I didn't do anything illegal, just insulted him. They are refusing to release the incident report to me, or bodycam footage.

No lawyer will take my case because my injuries aren't bad enough and I don't already have the footage (I've called 20 or so). What do I do? Why won't a lawyer take my case if he could get the footage? I only called personal injury and civil rights lawyers.

The fact I wasn't arrested shows I am innocent, even according to the police, so the assault would be by definition excessive force. Is this correct?

I feel like I have to fight this myself. How do I legally petition for the footage? I also have many witnesses who will testify to police brutality. I will give them all complaint forms (the police initially lied to me and told me the forms don't exist when I went into the station, I have them on footage lying).

Thank you for your time.

First of all, in most states, and you failed to identify where this took place, you file a claim for the damages, medical bills, loss of work, etc. with the city or county where this took place.  There is a short window of time to do this, usually 60-180 days, again depending upon the state.  If and when that is denied,you are then free to sue the city/county.  Only then, when properly requested, are they required to provide you with the report and any camera footage available.

I am sorry, not being arrested, does not show that you were innocent, just that they chose not to arrest you.

Good luck

15 hours ago, doucar said:

First of all, in most states, and you failed to identify where this took place, you file a claim for the damages, medical bills, loss of work, etc. with the city or county where this took place.  There is a short window of time to do this, usually 60-180 days, again depending upon the state.  If and when that is denied,you are then free to sue the city/county.  Only then, when properly requested, are they required to provide you with the report and any camera footage available.

I am sorry, not being arrested, does not show that you were innocent, just that they chose not to arrest you.

Good luck

New info has come to light and lawyers will take my case, so I no longer need advice. Thank you for replying. Although, I must say, how did you miss the first sentence? haha