Sign in to follow this  
TerriH

credit Debt

A year ago, I got a credit card to pay a vet bill.  I was unable to pay on the balance and I told the company that.  They were pretty good and didn't harass me, and I told them I would pay them when I got some money (I work a minimum wage job and for health reasons my husband is disabled and unable to work - we barely get by).  A couple of months ago, we happened into some money, so I wanted to keep my promise and pay this company off.  I called them up and told them I wanted to pay off the debt, but they refused saying they sold the debt a few weeks prior.  They gave me the contact information for the company they sold the debt to, so I called them and informed them I was willing to pay the debt off right them.  They refused to take my payment.  I warned them that if they didn't take the payment for the full amount now, I might not be able to pay them later (as i said, we barely get by, so there is always some bill that needs to be paid).  They still refused.  So, recently, they send me a letter demanding payment in full by a certain date or payment arrangements of their design (in other words, they didn't ask me what i can or cannot afford) and said they would be contacting a lawyer to sue me if it wasn't paid by then or take them up on their 'offer". 

Can they still collect?  I made a good faith effort to pay and they refused.

What state are you located in? It's important because state law may differ from federal law.

31 minutes ago, TerriH said:

I was unable to pay on the balance and I told the company that.  They were pretty good and didn't harass me, and I told them I would pay them when I got some money

You have to realize that none of that mattered or changed anything. The credit card industry is computerized and the process for default is automatic. The people on the phone just listen and maybe make a note but it doesn't change the schedule of selling the debt when the time comes.

33 minutes ago, TerriH said:

I called them up and told them I wanted to pay off the debt, but they refused saying they sold the debt a few weeks prior.

Once the original creditor sells it, it's out of their hands.

34 minutes ago, TerriH said:

I called them and informed them I was willing to pay the debt off right them.  They refused to take my payment

That's a bit odd. Collection agencies want money. Though it's possible that they hadn't set up the account for handling yet.

35 minutes ago, TerriH said:

So, recently, they send me a letter demanding payment in full by a certain date or payment arrangements of their design (in other words, they didn't ask me what i can or cannot afford) and said they would be contacting a lawyer to sue me if it wasn't paid by then or take them up on their 'offer". 

So, contact them and discuss a payment plan.

36 minutes ago, TerriH said:

Can they still collect?

Yes.

36 minutes ago, TerriH said:

I made a good faith effort to pay and they refused.

Again, a little odd, but doesn't absolve you of the debt.