Heidi Beauchemin

Tenants Alloted Time to Vacate by Law w/ No Rental Agreement

Property owner passed away October of last year. Property went into pre-foreclosure. Recently purchased by group of investors. Decision to flip property immediately. Two investors verbally waived our rent for the time the property remained on the market and informed us of their agreed intent to allow us to remain as tenants with our promise to accommodate potential new buyers, assist contractors that show for repairs on property (My personal favorite being the septic guy who skipped the agreed day and time without notice, only to show up unannounced three days later at 7am in the morning on the 4th of July to pump the septic tank and repair the defective pump located directly under the deck I was preparing to set up for BBQ) Remove refuse not belonging to us on the deck adjacent to the main house and were requested to take pictures of the main house and email to broker for use in advertising property. All tasks were completed and still pending up until 2 days ago when we were notified of their recent decision to make improvements on our unit based on the lack of potential buyers coming to view the property. Not one prospect. I can only assume this is not due to the lack of improvements to the granny flat, but, rather due to the increase of asking price to $485,000 in regards to the auction price of $288,000 with literally no renovations other than trash haul. All this information typed for apparently no other reason than to vent as my question is how long do we as tenants of said property for the past 4 1/2 yrs. allotted to us to find alternate living space and relocate to unwanted new spot?

What state is this in?

Do you have a lease agreement/contract with the property owner?  Review it carefully to see what it says about termination of lease or eviction.

Have you been given any type of WRITTEN notice that you need to move?

You did not identify the state so any answer is necessarily vague.  Since your title says no rental agreement, you would probably be considered to be a month to month tenant.  Most likely you have thirty days to move after notice to vacate.

5 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

You did not identify the state so any answer is necessarily vague.  Since your title says no rental agreement, you would probably be considered to be a month to month tenant.  Most likely you have thirty days to move after notice to vacate.

State is California. Notice meaning verbal is acceptable or written and served?

20 minutes ago, Heidi Beauchemin said:

Thank You reenzz. So, by law, I will have a maximum of 60 days once I've received written notice to vacate? Is this correct?

Yes...correct.