Scribbles

Research for School Project

Hello!

I am currently a business student, and for my class, I selected the legal industry. We have a project to conduct primary research with someone in my industry - for me, that would be an sole practice attorney. I am looking for information regarding "a day in the life" of an attorney, the best and worst parts of the job (and then 3 additional questions based on how the conversation goes). It should be no more than a 30 minute phone call. We are supposed to come up with a business idea based on what we learn and then draft a business plan. I don't personally know a lawyer, so I'm looking here to hopefully find a kind soul who would be willing to help.

Thank you! I really appreciate your time and consideration. 

6 hours ago, Scribbles said:

for me, that would be an sole practice attorney

My first impression would have been that you would be hard pressed to find an attorney in solo practice but I was surprised to learn that a 2016 survey by the American Bar Association revealed that 49% of attorneys are in solo practice:

https://www.practicepanther.com/blog/2016-us-lawyer-demographics/

You have a good chance of finding one by making those phone calls.

You should google something like "a day in the life of an attorney in solo practice" so you have enough preliminary information so that you can ask pertinent questions quickly, perhaps on the phone. A half hour is worth $200 and up to an attorney.

2 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

My first impression would have been that you would be hard pressed to find an attorney in solo practice but I was surprised to learn that a 2016 survey by the American Bar Association revealed that 49% of attorneys are in solo practice:[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's quite common. The vast majority of law firms have 5 or fewer attorneys. Only a few firms are the really big firms like those you see on TV and movies. I am associated with a fairly small law firm myself. In large law firms most of the lawyers are employees and don't have the control over their work and practice that solo practitioners and partners in small firms have. A big part of the attraction of law practice is having that control to do your own thing.

I was a sole practioner for over thirty years and I can assure you there is no such thing as a typical day.  Unless the attorney has a client that keeps him or her busy on a regular basis, every day is dedicated to get something done that makes money.  A sole practitioner might deal with bankruptcies, wills, divorces, real estate closings, criminal cases, personal injury claims, incorporation, etc., all in the same week.

5 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

I was a sole practioner for over thirty years and I can assure you there is no such thing as a typical day.  Unless the attorney has a client that keeps him or her busy on a regular basis, every day is dedicated to get something done that makes money.  A sole practitioner might deal with bankruptcies, wills, divorces, real estate closings, criminal cases, personal injury claims, incorporation, etc., all in the same week.

Scribbles — Bear in mind that the terms "sole practitioner" and "general practitioner" are different terms. A sole practitioner is one who practices by himself/herself. A general practitioner is one who practices in a wide variety of areas rather than concentrating in just a single or a couple areas of law. So RetiredinVA was apparently both a sole practitioner and a general practitioner as he evidently did a wide variety of legal work. But other sole practitioners may concentrate their practice in just a single area of law, and perhaps they'll have some days that are indeed "typical". While in solo practice myself I did (and still do) primarily tax law and other areas of federal law. You'll find that there are a lot of different practice arrangements for lawyers, and even among sole practitioners a lot varies from one lawyer to another. Likewise, you may find general practitioners in partnership with other lawyers.