Sign in to follow this  
benjaminlehart

Moving out at 17?

I am currently 16 at the moment, but will be 17 in late October. My mother and I have been talking about this topic for a long time and she is perfectly fine with me moving out at 17. (Considering I won't be far from home) But I plan to live with my boyfriend who is 18 and he lives in Tennessee. He hopes to come up and we can get an apartment together, but he's new to the moving out just like me. I have multiple questions for my situation. 

1. Can/does my boyfriend have to sign the legal documents, or does my mother have to due to me being 17? 
  2. Will my SSI disability go to me or my mother? Do I have to get a redetermination? 
  3. Would me and my boyfriend be able to survive with minimum wage jobs? (plus SSI) 
  4. Would my tribe (if enrolled) be willing to assist me in my living costs, if needed? 

I am currently employed, receiving SSI, and am eligible for Native American tribe enrollment in Minnesota (Leech Lake) 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, benjaminlehart said:

Can/does my boyfriend have to sign the legal documents, or does my mother have to due to me being 17?

What "legal documents" are you talking about?

Will my SSI disability go to me or my mother?

Almost certainly to your mother.

Do I have to get a redetermination?

Redetermination of what?  Why is your mother getting SSI disability benefits for you?

Would me and my boyfriend be able to survive with minimum wage jobs? (plus SSI)

There are people who "survive" without any jobs at all.  If, at the age of 16, your only goal is survival, that's awfully sad, and I'd suggest you give a lot of thought about whether this move you're contemplating is something that will be conducive to you living a long, healthy and happy life.

Would my tribe (if enrolled) be willing to assist me in my living costs, if needed?

How could we possibly know?