Sign in to follow this  
egx3

Do I legally owe money?

I was on a joint lease with a roommate. We both signed termination lease agreement. it has a fee for terminating early.

The landlord kept the security deposit as payment for the termination fee. The roommate claims I owe her the fee amount even though she signed the agreement to terminate that states there is a fee. Do I legally owe her?

1 hour ago, egx3 said:

I was on a joint lease with a roommate. We both signed termination lease agreement.

Did your landlord also sign this agreement?

1 hour ago, egx3 said:

The roommate claims I owe her the fee amount even though she signed the agreement to terminate that states there is a fee. Do I legally owe her?

Your post provides no information from which anyone could intelligently answer this question, except that the agreement (presumably with the landlord) that provides that the two of you, jointly and severally, owe the landlord a fee likely has no relevance to how the fee should legally be allocated between the two of you.  What is her argument as to why you allegedly owe her anything?  In addition to this question and those asked in the prior response, please also identify your state.

Everyone signed and agreed. We each paid half the security deposit. By signing the agreement, it states there is a fee that has to be paid. We both left. There was no agreement between the roommate and I on how to pay the fee; just the termination agreement that we are both responsible for it. She says because I chose to end the lease it is my responsibility, but I gave her the option to find another roommate or to terminate and she chose to terminate the lease. 

1 hour ago, egx3 said:

There was no agreement between the roommate and I on how to pay the fee

That's the critical part as far as I'm concerned.  If she wants money from you, she can sue you in small claims court, but I'm doubtful that she could prevail.