chopper1979

Creditor & Collector calling on same debt

I have some outstanding medical bills related to an ongoing auto accident claim.

One provider sent my account to collections but they still continue to contact me about payment, despite being told by me and my attorney in writing to stop. I received a text alert from them today.

Can the original creditor & debt collector both contact me? Do i have any right to file a complaint about one or both companies? 

Thank you.

The US Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies to debt collectors but not to the original creditor.

See Section 805 regarding communication by the debt collector.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/fair-debt-collection-practices-act-text#805

As far as I can tell, Kentucky does not have a statute that applies to the original creditor so the original creditor can dun you with impunity.

15 hours ago, chopper1979 said:

One provider sent my account to collections but they still continue to contact me about payment, despite being told by me and my attorney in writing to stop. I received a text alert from them today.

Can the original creditor & debt collector both contact me?

Just because you and your attorney tell someone to stop contacting you doesn't mean that person/entity has an obligation to stop.  Federal law (as cited in the prior response) provides a means by which you can limit the extent that a third-party debt collector may contact you.  That law does not apply to an original creditor.  I don't know if Kentucky has a similar law that would apply to an original creditor.

15 hours ago, chopper1979 said:

Do i have any right to file a complaint about one or both companies?

I'm not sure what sort of "complaint" you have in mind, but you can file anything you like.