Is it legal for a service (Gas) station to charge a minimum amount for liquified gas?

I wanted to fill up my liquified gas container with gas for a holiday picnic. I stopped at a gasoline station to fill it up. It took a little over $2.00. Once in the office, they charged me $16.50, stating they have a minimum charge. Is this legal. There is no sign or notice outside at the pump.

I was watching the pump as the attendant filled my tank and it registered the gallons and price. $2 and some change. Although once inside at the register he stated that will be $16.50. I immediately stated that the pump register $2... something. That's when he turned around and pointed to a sign on the wall that indicated $16.50 minimum charge on all propane purchases. I told him that wasn't right and he should have said something outside, as I would have gone elsewhere. 

I'm a little confused about your question.  For the last two decades (at least), in order to get gas from a pump, you either have to put your card in a slot at the pump and get it approved before you pump or you got into the office before pumping and say, "I'd like $X on pump #5."  In the former case, if you're done after pumping $2 worth of gas, then that's what you pay, and there'd never be a need to go "in[to] the office" and talk to someone.  In the latter case, if you tell the person you want $2 and he/she says there's a $16.50 minimum, then you know that up front.  I'm therefore trying to figure out why you would be pumping first and then going back to the cashier.  I'm also curious where you found a gas station in 2019 where an attendant will pump the gas for you.

Regardless, if you're told up front that there's a minimum, then there's nothing wrong with that.  On the other hand, if you're not told until after the fact that there's a minimum charge, that wouldn't be enforceable.

Actually, the poster wasn't pumping gasoline.  He or she was having their propane tank refilled.  I suppose that would require an attendant, even in California.  I would be a little surprised, though, if the attendant wouldn't have questioned the wisdom of refilling a tank that was obviously topped off.  You can pretty much determine how empty a propane tankis by just lifting it.    Since refilling a propane tank requires labor, as opposed to pumping gasoline, I would think it may not be unreasonable to impose a minimum charge.

I wasn't sure how much gas was in the tank as I never had this tank filled since purchasing it last summer 2018. I wanted to make sure it had plenty of propane in it then to run out during our festivities (BBQ), which would be embarrassing. My nephew used the tank last winter for our space heater as well. Filling a propane tank is nothing like filling your car up with gasoline. 

×
×