Dslyfe

Legal steps to moving out of state?

8 years ago I got divorced. We have a teenager. For the entirety of the divorce he has lived out of the state.  I live in Missouri. His wife just took a job in the town 30 min from us and they intend on moving closer. The catch is, he just took a job that requires him to leave the country for several months at a time for the next 3 years. I intend on moving to another state within those 3 years. Nothing in the paper says I cant move,  only that I have to provide written notice at least 90 days before moving. If hes still oversees, and I'm trying to move.... what are the proper steps I have to take? Do I legally have to get approval from the courts to move? My child will be 16 when we decide to move. 

11 hours ago, Dslyfe said:

what are the proper steps I have to take?

According to you, the proper step (singular) is to "provide written notice at least 90 days before moving."  Is there some reason why you think there might be something else?

Do I legally have to get approval from the courts to move?

According to you, "[n]othing in the paper says [you] cant move."  I assume "the paper" refers to your divorce decree.

My child will be 16 when we decide to move.

Sounds like you have already decided to move.

Is there any reason not to let your ex no now that you plan to move so that you can try to work something out in advance?