An unauthorized driver of a car that was rented by me is refusing to pay for damages that he caused. In addition to the he promised to pay for the cost of the days the car was rented but has failed to. Can I take him to small claims court? What are the chances of me winning?

8 minutes ago, Jazamb32 said:

An unauthorized driver

Do you mean he wasn't on the rental contract or do you mean he drove the car without your consent?

8 minutes ago, Jazamb32 said:

Can I take him to small claims court?

Sure, as long as the amount is within the court's limit.

9 minutes ago, Jazamb32 said:

What are the chances of me winning?

Probably better than your chances of collecting.

17 minutes ago, Jazamb32 said:

An unauthorized driver of a car that was rented by me is refusing to pay for damages that he caused.

Let me get this straight.  You rented a car.  Someone else drive and caused damage to the car.  I assume "unauthorized driver means that he wasn't listed on the rental contract as an authorized driver, but does it also mean that he used the car without your permission?  Or was he using the car with your permission?  Your response to "adjusterjack's" question about this issue is ambiguous.

Just also to confirm:  the accident was reported tot he rental car company, right?

1 hour ago, Jazamb32 said:

In addition to the he promised to pay for the cost of the days the car was rented but has failed to.

I assume you meant to type, "In addition to the damage to the car. . . ."  Has he (or his liability insurer) paid for the damage to the car?  What does "the cost of the days the car was rented" mean?  Are you talking about what you paid to rent the car?  Or are you talking about the rental car company's damages for loss of use of the vehicle while it was being repaired?

Can I take him to small claims court?

You can take him and me and the Queen of England to court.  Anyone can take anyone to court.  Heck, one guy even sued Satan.

What are the chances of me winning?

Depends on your answers to the questions I asked.

So basically I rented a car in my name for someone who I thought I was being hired by for a business that ended up being fake because he was on the do not rent list for something he said was being handled. He put his “business” account on file which he was supposed to use as payment for the cost of the rental. The rental was returned over a week past the day it was supposed to be turned in and it was damaged. He told me it was turned in when it wasn’t and failed to tell me that he damaged it. About a month later I get a letter from enterprise stating that the car was damaged and that the payment did not go through for the cost of the rental. I have multiple texts with him admitting to damaging the car as well as him saying that his insurance was going to pay for it however this is now 5 months later and I have just received my final letter before being sent to collections/ being sued my enterprise. He has blocked me from everything and I can no longer reach him.

Well you signed the rental agreement and as far as your contract with the rental company, YOU are liable for the damages and payment.  You can sue the guy for that amount after you've paid it but that doesn't guarantee that you'll ever see a dime from him.

47 minutes ago, Jazamb32 said:

He has blocked me from everything and I can no longer reach him.

Your chances of collecting just went from slim to none.

1 hour ago, pg1067 said:

You can take him and me and the Queen of England to court. 

Amused.jpg

I rented a car in my name for someone who . . . was on the do not rent list

jiFfM.jpg

Please realize that, not only was this a terrible idea, it was also a breach of the rental car contract and, quite possibly, a crime (since you rented a car and represented that no one but you would be driving but knew at the time of renting the car that you intended to let someone on the "do not rent" list drive it).  Moreover, it means your own liability insurer isn't going to provide coverage, and it wouldn't surprise me if you're now on the "do not rent" list.

I have multiple texts with him admitting to damaging the car as well as him saying that his insurance was going to pay for it however this is now 5 months later and I have just received my final letter before being sent to collections/ being sued my enterprise. He has blocked me from everything and I can no longer reach him.

Well, then you're going to need to figure out a way to pay the rental car company.  The chances of you winning a small claims suit against this guy seem pretty good (assuming you can find him in order to serve him), but I agree that you probably have almost no chance of actually collecting.