Sign in to follow this  
John J

Is this a crime

A man is saying that he gave a cash deposit and wants it back, but has no reciept. Can he file charges ? I was unable to finish repairs on a mans vehicle, so he decided to bring it elsewhere. He now says that I damaged the vehicle because it is not finished . Can he file charges on an accusation like that ? He is also saying I stole parts, even though nothing is missing. Can a person get away with something like this ?

32 minutes ago, John J said:

A man is saying that he gave a cash deposit and wants it back, but has no reciept. Can he file charges ?

A person can contact the local police and claim that (A) he gave someone a cash deposit, (B) he's entitled to get the deposit back, and (C) the person holding the deposit is refusing to return it.  Whether the police are interested in investigating such a matter is something that cannot be predicted, but, on the surface, seems unlikely.  The police would probably be more inclined to let the two parties hash the matter out through litigation rather than through criminal proceedings.

36 minutes ago, John J said:

He now says that I damaged the vehicle because it is not finished . Can he file charges on an accusation like that ? He is also saying I stole parts, even though nothing is missing. Can a person get away with something like this ?

Pretty much the same analysis applies to these 2 scenarios.  The person who gave you the vehicle to do work on it can tell the police whatever he wants to; whether the police will pursue the matter is not under his control.  On the limited information you've supplied, it seems far more likely that the police would recommend that you and he sort out your differences in civil court.

59 minutes ago, John J said:

A man is saying that he gave a cash deposit and wants it back, but has no reciept.

Saying to whom?

Gave a deposit to whom?

In what amount?

For what purpose?

In what state?

Is there any sort of written agreement?  I'd like to think a person would not give another person a cash deposit in any significant amount without any sort of signed, written agreement and/or a receipt, but I've been posting here long enough to know that people sometimes do galactically stupid things.

1 hour ago, John J said:

Can he file charges ?

No.  Only the district attorney/prosecuting attorney can file criminal charges.  Obviously, anyone can report anything to the police.  Assessing whether it is likely that the police will do anything about a particular situation requires knowing the relevant details.

1 hour ago, John J said:

He now says that I damaged the vehicle because it is not finished.

That doesn't make any sense.  Not finishing the repairs is one thing.  Damaging the vehicle is something completely different, and it makes no sense to claim that you "damaged the vehicle because it is not finished."

1 hour ago, John J said:

Can he file charges on an accusation like that ?

Neither failing to finish repairs nor accidentally (I'm assuming) damaging a vehicle is a crime.

1 hour ago, John J said:

Can a person get away with something like this ?

I'm not really sure what "something like this" means, but nothing you've described suggests any criminal activity has occurred.  If anything, you might have some civil liability, so I'd strongly suggest you put your business liability insurance carrier on notice of this man's allegations.

39 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

I'll bet money that there isn't any.

Not saying I think you're wrong, but anyone who is in the business of repairing cars and doesn't carry liability insurance is a long list of unkind names.