Craftyone9496

I just received some important information that now leads me to believe that my attorney has not represented me fairly

I was with a friend partying at my hotel and was arrested for possession of meth with intent to sell 14 months ago, which I'm still fighting. The cops found 8.7 grams of meth in 4 or 5 baggies and 4 glass pipes, two of which were my friend's. I told the cops it was for my own personal use, which it was. There were no scales, no large sums of cash, and no payola sheets. My friend lied to the cops ( I have a copy of the police recordings) saying he had no idea what the glass pipe right next to his wallet was for and that I said I had a lot of sh*t. 

I knew that he had been to prison, but I didn't really know what for. We met online and that was only the third time we hooked up. Well this new information I just received is that he is a convicted felon for this very same charge. The cops ran our names that night. So my first question is, why wasn't he arrested as well? I don't even have any prior possessions. Nothing related to drugs at all on my record. 

The second part of this scenario relates to my current attorney. So, my friend bails me out, who I'd only seen three times. Then he comes with me to every court appearance I have. 

I had decided to hire a private attorney to help me fight this bogus charge. My friend didn't like my attorney after speaking with him and encouraged me to fire him and hire his attorney he's used for 20+ years. So I did both. His attorney has only been in court with me one time in the last 14 months, and that was for my preliminary hearing. All the other times it's been one of his associates.

After learning about my friend's prior conviction, it all of the sudden dawned on me why he wanted me to hire his attorney. Because he was a former client and has retained his services multiple times. Therefore, my attorney wouldn't ask anything about him during my prelim and he didn't. He did not question the rookie (I am his first sales case) who arrested me that night about why my friend wasn't arrested when he has priors. He didn't mention him at all.This seems highly unethical to me and I do not believe that I have been represented fairly. Am I right? And if so, do I have any kind of legal and/or financial recourse? Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me please? 

We could all engage in ignorant speculation about the facts mentioned in your post, but what good would that do?

You apparently need to find better friends and get treatment for your drug problems.  Otherwise, you can expect to be in and out of jail/prison until the drugs kill you.

Craftyone 949

I wouldn't bother consulting the disrespectful "experts" on this website. They are extremely judgmental, condescending and flat out rude. The unhelpful, holier than thou  reply from  pg1067 above is a perfect example of what you can expect from a "platinum contributor". 

The preliminary hearing is not a trial.  The burden is on the prosecutor to show there is probable cause to charge the defendant with a crime.  The defendant has no burden to prove anything and asking why someone else was not charged is a pointless and irrelevant question.  Whether or  not your "friend" is charged has nothing to do with your guilt or innocence and would probably be objectionable at trial.

1 hour ago, SukiNg said:

Craftyone 949

I wouldn't bother consulting the disrespectful "experts" on this website. They are extremely judgmental, condescending and flat out rude. The unhelpful, holier than thou  reply from  pg1067 above is a perfect example of what you can expect from a "platinum contributor". 

So...you crawl out of the woodwork two years after your last post solely to write garbage like this?  Your comment might be better received if you actually had something useful to contribute.

Interesting comments given that you seemingly had no issues with my responses to two threads you started years ago.

3 hours ago, Craftyone9496 said:

So my first question is, why wasn't he arrested as well? I don't even have any prior possessions. Nothing related to drugs at all on my record.

No way anyone here can tell you why the cops did what they did. You'd have to ask the cops. But note that there was no obligation on the part of the cops to arrest both of you and the fact that you were arrested and he wasn't won't help you at all in your case. Note that when the cops showed up and started asking questions, your only response after identifying yourself should have been "I invoke my right to remain silent" and then not answer any questions. Keep your mouth shut! Your admission that the drugs were for your personal use does not help you at all here, it works against you. By doing that you just made it even easier for the state to put you behind bars for this.

3 hours ago, Craftyone9496 said:

This seems highly unethical to me and I do not believe that I have been represented fairly. Am I right? And if so, do I have any kind of legal and/or financial recourse? Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me please? 

Your "friend" is apparently a meth head with prior convictions, which you knew before you started this episode. And you're surprised that he might not have your best interests at heart here when telling you to fire your attorney and sign on with his? This guy has every reason to throw you under the bus if it helps his case. I would not have taken you as a client when already representing another co-defendant in the same case because of the problem that zealously representing one of you may require impairing the defense of the other. But if the attorney disclosed that possible conflict and you agreed to the representation anyway it might not violate the rules of conduct. In any event, it was not a wise decision to listen to this guy's advice to dump your old lawyer and go with his instead. You may want to consider getting your own separate attorney here and prevent any potential conflict of interest problems from hurting your defense.

And I suggest you drop your "friend" and stop doing the drugs. Neither the friend nor the drugs are doing you any favors here.