emanter

Workplace Modifications

Hello,

I am trying to verify a statement that a contractor made in regards to liability. I was told that if a piece of equipment had a damaged part and we remade the part instead of purchasing a replacement (part was no longer available) that the company and the technicians who did the work are assuming liability if another failure were to happen and an injury occurred. I would like clarification as well as any codes I can reference when discussing this with senior management.

Thank you

Eric

Edited by emanter
spelling

1 hour ago, emanter said:

I am trying to verify a statement that a contractor made in regards to liability. I was told that if a piece of equipment had a damaged part and we remade the part instead of purchasing a replacement (part was no longer available) that the company and the technicians who did the work are assuming liability if another failure were to happen and an injury occurred.

I'm not sure who "we" are, but it is certainly possible that, if a person or entity who makes a part for a piece of equipment and that part fails and causes injury, the person or entity who made the part could be held liable.  Of course, such person/entity might have liability anyway.  Obviously, it depends on the particular facts of what happens.

1 hour ago, emanter said:

any codes I can reference

Obviously, "codes" vary from state to state, but this isn't the sort of thing that's going to be found in statutory law.  Unless you're a lawyer (which you likely aren't given that you asked the question), then "senior management" certainly isn't expecting you to cite legal authority.  All you need to do is point out that the issue exists and that it should be vetted with legal counsel and the company's insurance agent.

×
×