Sign in to follow this  
Jessica

Unsure father

My husband slept with a friend of his almost 2 years ago. When she got pregnant she kept tell him the baby is not his, she didn't know who the father was. A few months ago her first child's father demanded a DNA test to find out who the father is. (He isn't the father)  Now she is demanding my husband to take a DNA test. He hasn't taken a DNA test yet and she's already asking him how much child support and back pay he can do. The child is almost 2years old,my husband has never seen the child and doesn't want to be in the child's life. If he is the father, does he have to pay back child support and can he give up all parental rights with no child support?

23 minutes ago, Jessica said:

If he is the father, does he have to pay back child support and can he give up all parental rights with no child support?

He would have to pay child support from the date when the mother filed the petition for child support but not before that.  No, he cannot give up his responsibility to support his child because he doesn't want to.

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

She doesn't want my husband involved in the child's life at all. she just wants him to give her money.

That's not going to happen if your husband is smart enough to take the DNA test establish paternity and go to court to get visitation so he can be a part of the child's life.

Who knows? A DNA test can be a two edged sword. Maybe the friend was promiscuous enough so he turns out not to be the father.

15 hours ago, Jessica said:

She doesn't want my husband involved in the child's life at all. she just wants him to give her money.

If the court orders a DNA test and he is found to be the father the court will award him parenting time.

17 hours ago, Jessica said:

If he is the father, does he have to pay back child support and can he give up all parental rights with no child support?

No and no.

16 hours ago, Jessica said:

That has nothing to do with anything.  If he is the father, whether or not to be "involved in the child's life at all" is entirely his choice.  Whether or not to provide financial support for a child he chose to create isn't.

By the way, any chance that the mother's "first child's father" is her husband?