shonette

employers medical insurance compensation or requirements

I live in California .What is required by law from an employer to make available heath insurance coverage? Is it my responsibility to pay for health insurance for myself or is it my employers responsibility to provide and pay all or a portion of the benefit.?

14 minutes ago, shonette said:

what is required by law from an employer to make available heath insurance coverage? Is it my responsibility to pay for health insurance for myself or is it my employers responsibility to provide and pay all or a portion of the benefit.?

Tell us a little about your job, number of hours you work per week, the size of the employer and what state you are in.

There is no law requiring all employers to have medical insurance for all employees.

15 minutes ago, shonette said:

I live in California .What is required by law from an employer to make available heath insurance coverage? Is it my responsibility to pay for health insurance for myself or is it my employers responsibility to provide and pay all or a portion of the benefit.?

I work in a dental office in California. There are 8 employees in our office. I work 35 to 40 hours a week I am a full time employee . Ive been at this job for 5 years but only started full tie position about 1 1/2 years ago. I have received no sick leave, holiday pay, no vacation benefits. I would like to know what i am untitled to from my employyer

None of the leaves you mention are required. If you employer has more than 50 employees unpaid leave is required under federal law and there is a lesser employee count requirement in California for births and adoptions. But again that is unpaid leave.

As far as insurance goes there is no requirement that group medical be offered. If the employer is of sufficient size they may be taxed if they don't provide it if you purchase your insurance through Obamacare or are on expanded medicaid.

Before I respond let's separate Medical from the Leave benefits.

Leave be it holiday, sick or vacations is a form of wages paid.  It would be no different than if she got paid more than you.  And it isn't illegal discrimination unless it is because you are in a protected class (race, age, religion, sex...)  Example if all the other employees were Baptists and got the leave and you didn't because you are Methodist that would be illegal.

Do your coworkers have medical coverage through your employer?

1 hour ago, shonette said:

I live in California .What is required by law from an employer to make available heath insurance coverage?

As a general matter, no employer is required by law to provide health insurance coverage

I have received no sick leave, holiday pay, no vacation benefits. I would like to know what i am untitled to from my employyer

You're entitled to be paid a wage or salary that is at least $12 per hour (unless you're in one of the few cities that has a higher minimum wage).  You are not entitled to paid sick leave, holiday pay or paid vacation.

One of my co workers gets these benefits. Holiday pay m paid vacations, sick leave and she works the same amount of hours I do. Is that legal to discriminate in that matter?

What does "discriminate in that matter" mean?  No law requires that every employee be treated identically.  However, if your co-worker is being treated differently because of something like race/ethnicity, gender, religion, etc., then it might be illegal.  Do you have reason to believe something like that is happening?

When you asked your boss about the possibility of getting these various benefits, what response did you get?