Brynderwyn

(How) can I dispute a claim from rental car company after flood damage?

I received a claim for total loss of a rental car that got caught in a flood on a free camping spot on public land. The rental agreement included a loss and damage waiver, but the rental company claims a violation of terms and conditions due to driving off paved road. Carefully reading the terms and conditions (and California Civil Code 1939.09 stating under which conditions a rental company may void a waiver) I seriously question the legitimacy of the claim under the given circumstances.

What are standard procedures to dispute such a claim?
What are potential consequences if I refuse to pay the charged amount? (Also considering that I live in Europe.)
Where can I get affordable legal advice?
I arbitration advisable?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Brynderwyn said:

. . .

I'm not sure I entirely understand these questions.  Your use of parentheses in the first question suggests you're asking two separate questions:  (1) can you dispute; and (2) if so, how?  Obviously, anyone can dispute anything (as evidenced by the fact that some people honestly don't believe that the Earth is (roughly) spherical).  How do you dispute it?  By any means of communication available to you.  I really don't understand the "standard procedures" question.

1 hour ago, Brynderwyn said:

It's conceivably possible that the rental car company will charge the credit card you used to rent the car, so you should keep an eye on your statement.  You might be unable to rent a car from the same company in the future, and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that your name will be circulated among other rental car companies.  It's probably unlikely that you'll get sued.

1 hour ago, Brynderwyn said:

From a lawyer who charges rates that you consider to be "affordable."

1 hour ago, Brynderwyn said:

I arbitration advisable?

Unlikely.

×
×