so my mom died in 2015. She was still married to my father but they were separated. She had no will. Her property and trailer I know would go to him, but he is willing to sign it over to me. I have been paying the taxes and such but am ready for it to be in my name. What do I need to do and any idea how much it will cost?

You did not identify your state and the procedure is state dependent.  First, any property that is titled must be transferred into your father's name.  If the estate is small, there may be a simple procedure for doing so.  Then your father just signs the title over to you.  If there is property that is not titled, like furniture, there should be no procedures required.  Real estate is much more complicated.

Cost and difficulty depends on the state and value of the estate.

Before addressing your question, please tell us your mother's state of residence at the time of her death (and, if different, the state in which "her property and trailer" are located).  Also, "trailer" has a fairly wide number of meanings, so please clarify what it means in your case and what other "property" you're concerned with.

×
×