Sign in to follow this  
chicka1

Inter-company arbitration

I was involved in a car accident in which I am not at fault. The car that hit me head on (a white car) was attempting to make a left turn. The other driver(a blue car) was going straight.  When the police came to the scene, the driver of the red car was ticketed for failure to obey traffic control device although no one could say what actually happened other than they had the green light. At the intersection, when the turn light is green, the other light is red and vice versa. So it's obvious that one of them ran a red light.

When the blue car and white car collided, the white car involuntarily rolled into my car hitting me head on as I sat waiting on the light. I suffered bodily injury and now have medical bills.

The driver of the blue car's insurance company accepted 50% liability while the insurance company of the white car accepted 0% liability. My insurance filed property liability arbitration which is set some time in October. The company that accepted 50% liability has been in touch with me about settling the claim, at 50%. If I settle the claim and arbitration finds the company who accepted 50% liability initially as being 100% responsible, will I be able to go after the company to obtain the other 50% portion of the settlement for 100% or am I stuck with the 50% I settled for. I am not sure if arbitration supersedes any prior award settlements.

There are too many cars in your description.  Where did the "red" car come from and how Was the driver involved.  How much medical expense was involved?  If there was significant injury you may have to sue all three drivers.

1 hour ago, chicka1 said:

The car that hit me head on (a white car) was attempting to make a left turn. The other driver(a blue car) was going straight.  When the police came to the scene, the driver of the red car was ticketed for failure to obey traffic control device although no one could say what actually happened other than they had the green light.

This is confusing, but it doesn't appear to make a lick of difference for purposes of the question you asked.

the white car involuntarily rolled into my car hitting me head on as I sat waiting on the light.

So...your car was stopped at a red light?

I suffered bodily injury and now have medical bills.

Which I assume are being fully or mostly paid by your personal medical insurer.  Correct?

If I settle the claim and arbitration finds the company who accepted 50% liability initially as being 100% responsible, will I be able to go after the company to obtain the other 50% portion of the settlement for 100% or am I stuck with the 50% I settled for.

You won't ever be able to "go after the company."  You go after the driver.  In any event, unless your settlement agreement is worded to allow for additional recovery in the event of such an occurrence (which would be so unusual as to be nearly out of the realm of possibility), you will get nothing more than the 50% payment.

I am not sure if arbitration supersedes any prior award settlements.

As the name implies, intercompany arbitration is entirely and exclusively between the participating insurers.  It has nothing to do with the insureds or their claims.

Were you carrying collision coverage at the time of the accident?  If so, did your insurer cover the damage to your car (less your deductible)?