Sign in to follow this  
Dave DLC

Car estimate from dealership

Took my car in for fuel gage problem. It wasnt registering how much gas i had. I got an estimate and agreed to the work and price. When work was done i drove home and realize problem was not  fixed . Took car back and after a couple days was told it would be approx 500.00 more because they didnt check something the first time and it needed replacing. Can i hold them to the original estimate? I also paid a 200.00 diagnostic as part of the first estimate which was a total of approx 1000.00

job also to an extra week to get done. I feel ripped off

On 8/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, Dave DLC said:

Can i hold them to the original estimate?

Not sure what you have in mind.  Putting aside the fact that holding someone to an estimate removes all meaning from the word "estimate," you certainly can refuse to pay for more work, but it seems unlikely that the repair shop will do more work without more money.  That means your options are as follows:  (1) pay nothing more and keep the car as it is; (2) pay the additional money and get the problem fixed; or (3) pay a different repair shop to fix the problem and sue the first shop for additional cost above the original estimate.  Whether you might succeed with such a lawsuit depends on the laws of your unidentified state and the terms of the original estimate.

Keep in mind that, if the original estimate to do A, B and C was $X, and if it is necessary to do A, B, C and D to fix the problem, then the only issue here is that the repair shop failed to notice that D also needed to be done.  If fixing D costs $500, then all that means is that you're original estimate should have been $X + 500 to do A, B, C and D (instead of $X to do A, B and C).  If that's right, then you didn't get ripped off at all.