OverwhelmedinAZ

Claims against the estate

I notified known creditors, and also posted the required notice in the newspaper for unknown creditors. The claim period has ended and I did not get a claim from a known creditor, and received a notice from a collection company on an overdue bill (but no claim, and after the claim period ended). I have also not received any medical bills. 

Am I required to pay the creditors and do I have to wait longer or set aside money for medical bills? 

I am in Arizona.

For starters, I suppose we're supposed to infer that you are the court-appointed executor or administrator of a decedent's estate.  Correct?  Regardless of your answer, I'm assuming you have not retained the services of an attorney.  Correct?  If that's correct, why haven't you retained counsel?  What is the approximate size of the estate?

On 8/16/2019 at 5:27 PM, OverwhelmedinAZ said:

Generally speaking, if all known creditors have been given notification regarding the estate and appropriate notice has been published as required by law, all claims not filed within the claims period get disallowed.  However, so you want to risk getting it wrong, in which case you could become personally liable for estate debt?  Assuming you don't want to take that risk, you should retain the services of a local probate attorney.

I do not pretend to know Arizona law.  However, publishing a notice to file claims by UNKNOWN creditors means just that.  If you actually know there is a valid bill outstanding and you don't pay, it you will be held personally liable to a high degree of certainity.  If you want to play games, good luck.

×
×