Sign in to follow this  
TSB

Property laws in Oregon

I just bought a 2.3 acre parcel of land from a company. There is property left on the land that was unknown to the seller. Do I own it with the purchase? It's a trailer with tools inside.

No, you don't own it and you have to be real careful about trying to own it, lest the rightful owner come after you.

If the property was not owned by the seller then the seller could not convey it to you.

Which begs the question, why didn't you know about it before you bought the property or during the inspection contingency period or before close of escrow. Didn't you bother to inspect the property?

Virtually every city and county in the country has an ordinance addressing abandoned vehicles on private property. Look up yours and follow the instructions on reporting it and having it removed.

Thank you for the reply, that’s what I thought but it was suggested to me to see if it maybe fell under the same idea as say a mobile home. And I did know it was there but I wasn’t dealing directly with the seller and was told that it would be removed. Later was informed that it was not the sellers so probably a squatter is my guess. The plates and sn come back with no owner.

1 hour ago, TSB said:

was told that it would be removed

"I was told" is the most dangerous phrase in the English language.

1 hour ago, TSB said:

The plates and sn come back with no owner.

Then report it to the appropriate agency for removal.

Or, keep it and hope nobody claims it. Make sure you make a photo inventory before you touch anything, just in case.