Sign in to follow this  
Ali Arslan

Improper U turn ticket

I was traveling to New york and stopped by in Phillips burg New jersey for gas and to use restrooms. I took a u turn on green light  but i did nor realize that its no turn place. It was 5:30am .The officer gave me ticket. I want to know new jersey transfer points to north carolina drivers license or not? 

North Carolina and New Jersey are both participants in the Drivers License Compact -- an interstate agreement in which most states participate.

https://www.carolinaattorneys.com/files/north-carolina-drivers-license-compact.pdf

The law as adopted in each of the participating states generally requires states to share information about traffic offenses with other states in the case of a driver of one state being convicted of a traffic offense in another participating state.  Some kinds of offenses must be reported; other types of offenses may be reported.

It is up to each state on what penalty, if any, to assess against a driver licensed in that state as a consequence of a traffic violation in another state.

So in this situation, if you are convicted in New Jersey of doing an illegal U-turn, New Jersey might report that information to North Carolina (because improper U-turns are not one of the offenses that must be reported).

If New Jersey does report it, it is up to North Carolina to decide whether to put points on your license and if so how many.

You would need to consult with a lawyer in North Carolina who handles traffic matters to get a definite answer to your question - some quick google searching was inconclusive.  Based on what I did see, my best guess is North Carolina would not give you points based on an out-of-state conviction for improper U-turn, but as I say that is just a best guess.