Dslyfe

Step parent visitation

I'm in Missouri. My ex husband has visitation rights to our child, and I've never missed allowing our son to visit his dad. However, my ex recently told us that he has decided to take a contract job in another country and will be gone for a couple years. He has asked me to allow his wife to exercise visitation with my son in his absence. Is there a legal obligation for me to allow this, though there is nothing in our papers that says I must allow anyone in his family to substitute the visits in his absence? Does my sons step parent have legal rights to see him?

The step mother would not have a right to visitation if it is not specified in the order. The issue would be whether under the current order he may allow his wife to spend time with the child during his visitation time. I suggest you see a family law attorney for a review of the order to see how that would go. You might need to modify the order to make it clear that if he's not there to take the kid during his visitation time that none else may substitute in during his time.

18 hours ago, Tax_Counsel said:

The issue would be whether under the current order he may allow his wife to spend time with the child during his visitation time. 

There are no specific wording. As a matter of fact, he was originally required to have supervised visitation. When he finally got his act together and saught treatment and cleaned up, he was finally allowed unsupervised visits.... we never went back to court. I just began allowing it due to getting his life back in order (which took 4 years). It only states he must pick up the child from my residence and return him etx. It just dowsnt say anything about anyone else being allowed to take place in his visitation. I wont keep our son from visiting the step mom bc he does have a young brother there... but I dont see it fit to allow every single visitation.  

Talk to an attorney because the devil is in the details, but if the agreement is just between you and the father, you only need to allow the father the opportunity to exercise his parental rights as outlined in the agreement. Those rights can't be delegated to another party.