Sign in to follow this  
D L R

I let an in law move in

Ok to try and make a long story short, I let a family member move in September last year.. in May of this year she was told she had to move out... She was officially told through text message.. July 3rd she was told to come get her stuff from my house.. she never came got her stuff can we (husband and I) put her stuff out?

Nope. You likely didn't follow the laws of your state when the notification was made by text. So you need to send the family member a notice, via USPS, that they have ababdoned thier property and that it will be disposed of on X date.  I'd give them 30 days.

14 minutes ago, D L R said:

in May of this year she was told she had to move out... She was officially told through text message.

I'm curious why you think that delivering the message by text message somehow makes it "official."

15 minutes ago, D L R said:

July 3rd she was told to come get her stuff from my house.. she never came got her stuff

I assume this means that this person actually did move out.  Correct?

16 minutes ago, D L R said:

can we (husband and I) put her stuff out?

I'm sure you can, but I'm not sure exactly what "put her stuff out" might mean, and in any event, I doubt that's really what you intended to ask.  If you want to dispose of your former tenant's property without fear of being held liable for its value, you'll need to follow the abandoned property laws of your unidentified state.  Typically, that means written notice sent by mail -- better yet, something like Fedex so you can prove it was actually delivered -- that gives a set period of time for the owner of the property to retrieve the property.  Thirty days is typical.

1 hour ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

Nope. You likely didn't follow the laws of your state when the notification was made by text. So you need to send the family member a notice, via USPS, that they have ababdoned thier property and that it will be disposed of on X date.  I'd give them 30 days.

She came over in person and got clothes and dog toys.. my husband then told her to get her stuff that was on July 3rd... She is not on our mortgage or anything... 

1 hour ago, pg1067 said:

I'm curious why you think that delivering the message by text message somehow makes it "official."

I assume this means that this person actually did move out.  Correct?

I'm sure you can, but I'm not sure exactly what "put her stuff out" might mean, and in any event, I doubt that's really what you intended to ask.  If you want to dispose of your former tenant's property without fear of being held liable for its value, you'll need to follow the abandoned property laws of your unidentified state.  Typically, that means written notice sent by mail -- better yet, something like Fedex so you can prove it was actually delivered -- that gives a set period of time for the owner of the property to retrieve the property.  Thirty days is typical.

I put Mississippi when it asks you to in the beginning... I didn't know I needed to put it again in the question.. so are you saying that she was a tenant because she lived here? She not on any paper work. She has been gone since May 2019 and never came back to get her property.

Side note I am not a landlord this is my home, and when she left I didn't know where she was or went to send a letter to.. is there another way to inform her? 

1 hour ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

She abandoned her stuff in May 2019 I couldn't inform her by mail as I don't know where she went

When someone lives with you like you describe they are considered a tenant and you are considered a landlord.  The law requires certain things between tenants and landlords and written notice of various things is one of them. 

36 minutes ago, D L R said:

I put Mississippi when it asks you to in the beginning... I didn't know I needed to put it again in the question.

You shouldn't have had to, but the tag apparently didn't take for reasons beyond my pay grade.

so are you saying that she was a tenant because she lived here?

Under the circumstances described, yes.  That status is, however, largely moot since she moved out.

when she left I didn't know where she was or went to send a letter to.. is there another way to inform her?

The subject header of your post refers to her as an "in law," so I would assume someone in the family has an address.  Beyond that, I have no idea how you might contact her.

Here's a link to what I assume is the relevant body of law in Mississippi.