Sign in to follow this  
SignalHill

Felon Abandoned Vehicle in our Private Driveway (CA-LosAngelesCounty)

Former handyman's son who is apparently in and out of jail  abandoned his minivan on our private (residential) driveway without permission to be on our property ever in the first place. We know its his based on free online vehicle history report (based on vin & plates) showing it was the handyman's first then it was transferred to the son later on.

The handyman is ignoring our calls for a week now so we decided to call local police, but police said its not a crime if its on my private property.

We checked inmate records and the son is out on parole/probation but also ignoring all attempts to contact him thru his info like phone # from online

I'm surprised the police are not treating this like a criminal matter; they said they would only tow it if it was on the street.

Anyways we called local towing companies but they said they will charge to tow it cause its junk the son dumped on our personal property in order to get rid off for free.

How is that not illegal? Its legal to dump one's vehicle on another's personal property now? Just wondering how to get this vehicle out of our driveway so I can get my car into my garage. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, SignalHill said:

How is that not illegal? Its legal to dump one's vehicle on another's personal property now? Just wondering how to get this vehicle out of our driveway so I can get my car into my garage. Thanks!

This very likely this amounts to a trespass of your property. You have the option of towing it (after providing whatever notice might be required under your state's law) to a junkyard and then suing the handyman and son in small claims court to recover your expenses in doing it.

47 minutes ago, SignalHill said:

How is that not illegal?

If something isn't illegal, the "how" is because there's no law that makes it illegal.  In your case, it's either not illegal or it is illegal and the police are exercising their discretion not to deal with it.

48 minutes ago, SignalHill said:

Just wondering how to get this vehicle out of our driveway so I can get my car into my garage.

Your post indicates you already know this.

Well that explains why someone  - esp a registered criminal - would dump on personal property versus public space

- if its a crime to abandon it on public streets but somehow not a crime (?!) do just drive onto someone's private property and dump it instead.

No wonder people nowadays fence in their entire property, increasingly =/

Thanks all.

You are trying very hard to make this the crime of the century and the perpetrator public enemy number one.

Neither is the case. It's a violation of Signal Hill's (if that's where you live) city ordinances.

See Title 10 Chapter 10.46 and learn what you can do about it.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/signal_hill_ca/cityofsignalhillcaliforniamunicipalcode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:signalhill_ca

More likely than it not being a crime is that the police are likely exercising their discretion not to deal with it (and, instead, trying to catch folks speeding down Hill St. toward Obispo Av.).

Unfortunately, sometimes folks make your life difficult and you have no effective way to deal with it without spending money.  It's a reality of living in a community.

Signal Hill, I see that the link I posted is no good. Try the following link and click on "View Code."

https://www.amlegal.com/codes/client/signal-hill_ca/

12 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

the police are likely exercising their discretion not to deal with it

The abandoned vehicle code refers to a "city abatement officer" whoever that may be. Up to the poster to figure out who that is.