blackrecluse

Employment Question

A few years  ago I was arrested on a felony charge. Since then the case has been dismissed nolle prosequi and record expunged. I am trying to get back into my profession but I was told by a school board that Louisiana passed a law last year stating I couldn’t be hired if my case is Nolle Prose. I am having trouble locating any law that states this and even further, can this really be done?

1 hour ago, cbg said:

I don't know whether there is such a law. I do know that no matter what excuse they give you, no school board is obligated to hire you.

They are saying they want to hire me but this law is preventing them from doing so because of the wording. 

2 hours ago, blackrecluse said:

What job were you going for and what were the charges against you?

6 minutes ago, Tax_Counsel said:

A false report was filed for indecent behavior. I was a teacher and I am trying to finally get back to teaching now that it was cleared up

Just because that's what they say doesn't mean it's true. Employers have been known to lie about such things so as not to get into an argument. If they can place the blame on some nebulous law that prevents them from hiring you rather than saying, "We don't want to hire you but we don't want to explain why" it makes it much easier on them.

18 hours ago, cbg said:

It’s just odd because I went through the orientation and they asked me to get find out about the law and ways to change the wording so that they can hire me.

Changing the law is not something that's going to happen overnight. Even if you were able to find a congress-critter in the LA state Legislature (which is not currently in session) who would be willing to drop everything and give it their full attention right from the get-go, you should be thinking in terms of months if not years, rather than days or weeks.

The fact that they suggested you look into finding out about the law and the possibility of it being changed, rather than them doing it themselves, only says to me even more clearly that they are not really interested in hiring you but are trying to let you down gently. If they REALLY wanted to hire you and felt that the only block to doing so was this law, they have legal counsel that could clear up the matter far more quickly and expeditiously.

No employer is obligated to hire you.

In the meantime, you might want to make yourself familiar with this: 

https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2018/code-revisedstatutes/title-17/rs-17-15/

https://www.teachlouisiana.net/pdf/ConvictionPolicy.pdf

18 minutes ago, cbg said:

No employer is obligated to hire you.

Not me changing the law, but changing the wording of my case dismissal. But I know even that requires another motion go before the judge and that takes time as well. Thank you for the info though. It is quite helpful

×
×