Sign in to follow this  
John Honoker

Am I entitled toSelf defense in rv on someone's property

Am I entitled self defense shooting in my rv if parked on another someones property? i hope. johnhonaker1949@gmail.com

Me and my wife had boughten a little old rv after i retired. i am 49 now so we aren't really that old. she had worked at a big auto company here and we needed a place to fix up this rv before going around. she knew a guy that worked with her and we started paying to be with are rv on his property. I think the guy fancy my wife and we were having sum problem. one night he came out and into my rv and was hitting me with a baton, or black jack type stick. it hit me in head and ripped above me lip. i start shooting and hit him 3 or so times. i left scene. he told police i chased him round outside shotting at him without a reason. they found his baton, or blackjack thing and have me charged. if i go in it seems it should be self-defense. we both have retirement and my life is crashing down. the gun was a .22 semi auto. i dont want to hurt him or nobody.

8 hours ago, John Honoker said:

the gun was a .22 semi auto

Should have been a .45. Then he'd be dead on your floor, his weapon in hand, and couldn't claim that you were chasing him around outside shooting at him.

Seriously. If you manage to get acquitted of the charges, get yourself a .45. There are several small 5 or 6 shot handguns on the market that are just right for in-home CQC (close quarters combat).

1 hour ago, RetiredinVA said:

The answer to the question depends on the state.where the event occurred.  Why don't people realize this?

I can't think of any state where you can't defend yourself with a firearm in a situation like the OP describes.  That said when he left the scene he pretty much screwed himself.