Sign in to follow this  
Chasea06

New Telecommuter Policy

Work as a telecommuter for a company. All telecommuters use their own personal, employee paid for, computers. We received a new policy change that the company will be installing their firewalls and anti-virus on our personal computers and we are no longer allowed to use them for anything other than work!!! We were told they will consistently audit our personal computers for personal use and will come to our home and inspect them as they see fit. We were told that we will adhere to the policy or we must start driving into work and if we cant drive into work, then we can part ways. Is that legal in North Carolina? And if so, does the company have to pay me for the computer I purchased since it can no longer be used for anything other than work?

1 hour ago, Chasea06 said:

Is that legal in North Carolina?

Yes. It's legal everywhere. The boss says what you do. You do it or you lose your job.

1 hour ago, Chasea06 said:

does the company have to pay me for the computer I purchased since it can no longer be used for anything other than work?

No, the company doesn't have to pay you anything.

Frankly, if it was happening to me I would say F--K No, not gonna happen with MY property. And I'd be looking for another job ASAP.

Or, start driving into work and using the company computers to do your job like millions of others who don't have the luxury of telecommuting.

I like your response!! This was just released on Friday, so I am looking elsewhere and, as you said, FU ** NO!! :)  Only reason I am able to have the luxury of telecommuting is because I sought a telecommuting position and I will find another.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:34 PM, adjusterjack said:

Yes. It's legal everywhere.

Not quite everywhere. In California and perhaps a few other states, the employer would have to provide the computer used for the telecommuting if it may only be used for work. Unfortunately for the OP, NC is not one of those states.