Sign in to follow this  
Melissa V.

Recourse on Odometer Fraud

Hello, I purchased a used vehicle from a dealer yesterday, then found out last night that the odometer has been rolled back by at least 120,000 miles. It is a 2005 Subaru Impreza. I have asked the dealer if I can return the car and get my money back and I'm awaiting their response. If they refuse, what are my options? Will I have to sue them to get my money back?

From https://www.txdmv.gov/publications/doc_download/6992-smart-buyer-series-odometer-fraud

1. WHAT TO DO IF I THINK MY ODOMETER HAS BEEN ALTERED OR ROLLED BACK

If you discover the odometer has been altered or rolled back, you may take one or more of the following actions:

1. If you bought your vehicle from a dealer, you may want to discuss your findings with the dealer.

2. You may have a civil action, and you should see an attorney. Disconnecting, turning back, or resetting the odometer of any motor vehicle to reduce the miles on an odometer is specifically listed as a deceptive act under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. See TEX. BUS. & COM. CODE 17.46(16).

3. If you have bought a vehicle from a dealer, file a complaint with the TxDMV. If you are filing a complaint with the TxDMV, please include copies of all of the information you may have collected on the vehicle with your complaint to speed the investigation.

4. File a complaint with local law enforcement. Altering an odometer with the intent to deceive is a criminal offense. See Texas Transportation Code §727.002.

5. For large-scale investigations, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Office of Odometer Fraud Investigation can provide assistance. You may help an investigation by reporting a suspicious VIN to the NHTSA Office of Odometer Fraud Investigation at (202) 366-4761. In addition, The NHTSA Office of Odometer Fraud