pookyloo

Wear and tear vs damages

Hello all, I’m back with another question 🙂.

I have lived in my apartment for over 3 years but planning to move when my lease is up.  A few months ago I went to open my over the range microwave and the handle snapped off.  I opened it like I always do and it looked as if it had been repaired before.  I reported it to maintenance who said he thought they had replacements and would be back.  About a month later, I ran into him on the property and he said that the part had to be ordered and he would replace when it came in.  In the meantime, I also broke the fan cover trying to open the microwave door.  I saw the maintenance guy again and he said he was still waiting on the part.  I told him about also breaking the fan cover and he assured me they had extra parts in the shop and he would fix when the other part came in.

It’s been about 3 months since I first reported it and I’ve begun to suspect that they are waiting out my lease to charge damages.

The handle didn’t break because of malice or misuse and would have broken regardless of who had opened it.  The fan cover is my fault but wouldn’t have happened if they’d repaired the microwave in a timely manner.  

The microwave is a 2003 model and the cost of both parts is $230 or the whole thing can be replaced for $189 at Best Buy.

What would reasonably be considered wear and tear or damages in this case?

Well, you should have reported each incident in writing when it happened and followed up in writing every two weeks.

3 hours ago, pookyloo said:

I’ve begun to suspect that they are waiting out my lease to charge damages.

Maybe so, but you did break it. It was only 6 years old. That's not very old for a microwave.

What would reasonably be considered wear and tear or damages in this case?

It's damage.

The microwave is a 2003 model and the cost of both parts is $230 or the whole thing can be replaced for $189 at Best Buy.

Then go buy it at Best Buy and save some money.

31 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

Well, you should have reported each incident in writing when it happened and followed up in writing every two weeks.

Maybe so, but you did break it. It was only 6 years old. That's not very old for a microwave.

I did put in a repair request through our online resident portal and the microwave is 16 years old,  not 6 as you stated.  It is also an above the range model that is exposed to a lot of heat, which could (and apparently did) make it brittle.  

And, as I stated earlier, it had been repaired before as I could see where it had been glued.  I fail to see how breaking the handle was my fault.

13 minutes ago, pookyloo said:

I did put in a repair request through our online resident portal and the microwave is 16 years old,  not 6 as you stated

Right. I read 2013 instead of 2004.

14 minutes ago, pookyloo said:

And, as I stated earlier, it had been repaired before as I could see where it had been glued.

Take photos.

14 minutes ago, pookyloo said:

I fail to see how breaking the handle was my fault.

OK, I'll go with maybe it isn't. But if the LL charges you for it and takes it out of your deposit you'll have to sue in small claims court.