Sign in to follow this  
Lea Smith

my family has infringed on my rights as an heir and lied, I was told a 40,000 bond was posted. I need help. I have to overnight response by 5mst

I received a call from my sister exactly 3 weeks before my father passed, saying my father had just been diagnosed with lung, spine and brain cancer. I asked how long the doctors gave him so I can save to drive they said the doctors didn't know yet. I have to much to list. But they did not want me there and now I know why. they tried to have me arrested at the hospital, refuse to provide paperwork and show proper procedures were filed. She told me my father had nothing. I demanded probate because the extent they were going to to keep me in the dark and get me out of there. They were also very pushy  i not go to probate and then said my father had a little money but it would be taken up by attorneys if we do. The attorney I spoke with was unfortunately unable to take it because he was in Seattle not Wa. But he said the judge wouldn't require them to post that large of bond if only a little.  I need to talk to someone but i cant afford an attorney. I need help 

32 minutes ago, Lea Smith said:

i not go to probate

Huh?

32 minutes ago, Lea Smith said:

he was in Seattle not Wa.

Again, huh?  As far as I can tell, the only U.S. state that has a city called Seattle is Washington, so if one is "in Seattle," then one is also necessarily in Washington.

33 minutes ago, Lea Smith said:

I need to talk to someone but i cant afford an attorney. I need help 

Not sure what you expect the anonymous strangers who post here can or will do for you.  We may be able to provide you with some helpful information, but you'll need to ask questions.  At the end of the day, however, you're going to need an attorney to assist you.  What do you estimate is the net value of your father's estate (assets less debt)?

I didn't even write those. I am asking and I have called attorney after attorney and am at my wits end honestly, If you even knew what I have gone through and still am.... I am a beneficiary and my family had lied about my father having any assets, and have made obvious attempts to stop me from being included. Now I have less than an hour to find out if as a beneficiary, as the probate is only set for motion, do i only have 30 days to respond as I cannot get a straight answer. I am about to walk away I'm so stressed and hurt and havent even gotten to grieve. They have violated my rights repeatedly and my fathers I believe but when no one will listen.... why would I hope now. thanks

And I am in Salt Lake City....He is in Spokane. I'm getting that no one will help. It amazes me how people can repeatedly hurt people intentionally and take what is rightfully theirs and this what people who try to everything to be the best person I can. I give up thinking if you do good it will come back. That's a joke. This is one of the worse things I've had to experience and I reach out desperate for help and I get kicked when I'm down? Thank you very much. I hope you got something out of it 

You have to "overnight a response by 5 MST" to who, about what document or what legal matter are you referring to?  You have failed to post critical, specific details of your situation.

It seems like your family is jerking you around for no reason, and you are falling for the bait.  Please calm down and stop stressing.  If it is true that a bond has been posted, then the probate process is going to eventually play out and if you are patient you can get what is rightfully yours, if anything.   Ask them what the name of the bonding company is and the address so you can contact the bonding company yourself to verify the truth of what you have been told.

Is your father now alive or deceased?

What city does he live in?  This matters because probate is going to be done at the city (called the "county seat") of whatever county he lives in, and you will be able to check the county court online records for that county to verify if a probate has been filed for him or not.

Do you know whether he made a will or not?  Who has the will right now?

After you explained to the hospital that you are his daughter, were  you allowed to visit him in person?

If there is a will, the executor is going to mail you a copy within the next few weeks or months.  If there is not a will, the normal procedure is for the executor or personal representative to report the names and address of all legal heirs on a form that is submitted to the courthouse, and hopefully your name will be reported on that form.  You can contact the courthouse yourself now or in a few weeks, to ask for all documentation z(sent to you by mail) that has been submitted so far so that you can see what has been done with the estate so far.  If your name is not reported on that form you can ask your attorney what steps you need to take next.

Since you mention your family members are uncooperative, you can consult with an attorney to get your questions answered or to represent your interests in this matter so he/she can run interference on your behalf if necessary by contacting the executor or personal representative so that you don't have to contact the executor or personal representative if you don't want to.  If they don't like you they are probably not going to tell you the truth about anything.

You may want to ask your attorney if there is any way that you or the attorney can find out or inquire about whether the children ever got a power of attorney signed by the father which would have authorized one or more of the children to handle/manage his finances.  Hopefully the estate will have some type of financial value after any debts he had are paid.

Ranting...maybe, but if you had questions regarding your fathers death and no one would help you, how would you feel?  I don't want to post all that on here, but I have been trying to get answers since I heard about my father and people who know me and the events that happen do not think I am overreacting and the witnesses I took on both trips just for that reason. In fact, the events with my father are eerily close to what happened to my grandpa. Now I have good reason to "rant" as if you felt and I doubt if I had access to what I needed I would be taken seriously by people other than those who know me. The whole reason I even demanded probate is I was told by my landlord, since the hospital, hospice and police station (mom volunteers there) have absolutely no desire to look into it even though it is the law. I would rather be looked at as crazy than right, but I doubt that. They did not want me there because they knew I would throw a fit and question things. I know my family well and unfortunately been right up to now, but how would you feel if you loved your father and knew in everything you were something wasn't right, his attorney said yes there are "major assets" but no will that he is aware of....which they made sure everything was cleaned out before I came and why my sister kept asking where are you now...They did not expect me to come up with the money to be there and were very hostile toward me when I arrived, even though we were just fine before I left. You are not the one that had to look at your dying father and tell him you had to leave him because I knew and couldn't do anything because no one would listen and well..... believe what you want. The more I look into this the more obvious it becomes. Rant....I'm sure that is what everyone thinks that doesn't know me. But I made a promise to my father that I would do everything in my power to see this person and others involved held accountable. I would rather rant and sound  like a mental ward patient, than sit and do nothing. So again thank you and I hope that you never have to go through something like this, because it really gives insight on what the world is turning to, and it isn't pretty. Treat others as you would like them to treat you as you may be in their place. Count your blessings. Good Day

This isn't the place to rant. If you want to rant, there are a million other places online to do so if you don't feel like finding a friend who will listen. This board is for legal advice. We can't help with family drama and whether you were there when your father passed or not.

Probate has nothing to do with the hospital, hospice or the police station. Your mother's volunteer work has no bearing on any of this. Start here as you seem confused about what probate is https://estate.findlaw.com/probate.html

I'm honestly not sure what your question is or where in the process your father's estate is. If your mother is still alive and married to your father, and your siblings are all your father and mother's children, and there is no will, you might not get part of the estate at all.

It also matters if you were a named beneficiary on any life insurance or other benefit.

3 hours ago, ElleMD said:

This isn't the place to rant. If you want to rant, there are a million other places online to do so if you don't feel like finding a friend who will listen. This board is for legal advice.

Not legal advice. Only a lawyer licensed in the relevant jurisdiction may provide legal advice. What we may legally do here is provide general legal information.