Jump to content
lisard07

Spousal Privacy Laws

Recommended Posts

I found videos and pictures of myself on my husbands laptop, which he took without my knowledge or consent. The videos are of us having sex and the pictures are of me naked or in my underwear. He does not know that I went on his laptop and found these things. He has given me his password to log on to his laptop in the past, but did not necessarily give me permission to get on it whenever I want. But he also has not changed the password. My question is, what are the privacy laws between spouses in Louisiana? Is it illegal for me to go on his laptop to obtain evidence that he has been videoing me and taking pictures of me without my consent?

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, lisard07 said:

what are the privacy laws between spouses in Louisiana?

 

None.

 

That he gave you his password one time means you have it for all time.

 

8 minutes ago, lisard07 said:

Is it illegal for me to go on his laptop to obtain evidence that he has been videoing me and taking pictures of me without my consent?

 

No.

 

But what are you going to do about it? Divorce him?

 

If you aren't, just delete the files and hope he doesn't have backup copies.

 

Oh, and find the camera. He certainly wasn't holding the camera while you were having sex so it's likely hidden somewhere.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

No.

 

But what are you going to do about it? Divorce him?

 

If you aren't, just delete the files and hope he doesn't have backup copies.

 

Oh, and find the camera. He certainly wasn't holding the camera while you were having sex so it's likely hidden somewhere.

 

 

Divorce is most likely going to happen for many reasons including this. 

 

He uses his cell phone. He props it up on the dresser or somewhere when he knows I am about to come into the room. I deleted a lot of the files on his computer, but he has several external hard drives that I haven't checked yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, adjusterjack said:

 

Then what are you waiting for?

 

 

To get this answer. And now, a chance to obtain evidence while he is not home.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post

There are only 2 grounds for an at fault divorce in Louisiana, adultery and conviction of a felony.

 

You need no evidence, you need to bail out. Though I don't blame you for hanging around to delete any other pictures or videos.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

There are only 2 grounds for an at fault divorce in Louisiana, adultery and conviction of a felony.

 

You need no evidence, you need to bail out. Though I don't blame you for hanging around to delete any other pictures or videos.

Wouldn't I need evidence to prove that he committed the crime?

Share this post


Link to post

Your husband recording the videos is questionable as far as crime goes. Now if he shares them, you get closer to crime territory. Taking photos or videos of one's self and spouse for your own viewing is unlikely to result in criminal charges. That would be up to the state to prosecute and racy pictures between spouses that stay private is gonna be a low priority.
I get why this would be upsetting to you and why it might push you over into divorce-land- but do you really want those now private pictures and videos shared with the police, the court, attorneys, etc? Delete them or confront him with them and then delete. Your choice.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ElleMD said:

Your husband recording the videos is questionable as far as crime goes. Now if he shares them, you get closer to crime territory. Taking photos or videos of one's self and spouse for your own viewing is unlikely to result in criminal charges. That would be up to the state to prosecute and racy pictures between spouses that stay private is gonna be a low priority.
I get why this would be upsetting to you and why it might push you over into divorce-land- but do you really want those now private pictures and videos shared with the police, the court, attorneys, etc? Delete them or confront him with them and then delete. Your choice.

Actually I am positive that this is against the law in Louisiana. That was not my question. 

Share this post


Link to post

Okay. I'll take your word for it. It's against the law in Louisiana.

 

Now, answer the question Elle asked you .Do you really want those now private pictures and videos shared with the police, the court, attorneys, etc?  Because for you to take any kind of legal action, those pictures are going to be seen by a LOT of people.

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, cbg said:

Okay. I'll take your word for it. It's against the law in Louisiana.

 

Now, answer the question Elle asked you .Do you really want those now private pictures and videos shared with the police, the court, attorneys, etc?  Because for you to take any kind of legal action, those pictures are going to be seen by a LOT of people.

I may or may not take legal action but I would like to have evidence in case I do. If nothing else, it can be for leverage. I am not really worried about those people seeing the videos and pictures. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, lisard07 said:

Wouldn't I need evidence to prove that he committed the crime?

 

For it to be any help in an at fault divorce there is going to need to be a felony conviction.  That means the pics/vids are going to have to be proved to have been taken by your husband and that taking the pics/vids is a felony.  Since you have access to the computer where they exist it can be argued that you took them and put them there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

If you want your husband criminally prosecuted, then you report what happened to the police, and they and the prosecuting attorney will handle things from that point.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

 

For it to be any help in an at fault divorce there is going to need to be a felony conviction.  That means the pics/vids are going to have to be proved to have been taken by your husband and that taking the pics/vids is a felony.  Since you have access to the computer where they exist it can be argued that you took them and put them there.

 

 

You can clearly see him in the videos propping his phone up somewhere in the room while I'm not there, and then I come in. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, lisard07 said:

You can clearly see him in the videos propping his phone up somewhere in the room while I'm not there, and then I come in. 

 

And then he could also argue that you knew about the photos being taken.

 

What it really comes down to is that there is little chance that a felony conviction is going to come out of all of this.  And you really wouldn't gain that much if it did. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...