kvviatt

What does the prosecution's first offer usually say about their willingness to bargain?

In my case, i have a level 3 felony aggravated battery charge however i have had no prior felonies and only very small criminal history overall. Im young. I have seen many people get away with a lot of felonies without going to prison in my county. My public defender told me the DA is going to give their first offer of 10 years, 4 suspended, 6 executed. Does that mean that I would have to do all 6 years in prison and, if so, could I work them down by denying the first plea offer?

6 minutes ago, kvviatt said:

Does that mean that I would have to do all 6 years in prison

Yes, that's what it means.

6 minutes ago, kvviatt said:

if so, could I work them down by denying the first plea offer?

Are you willing to go to trial? Is there a chance that the prosecution won't meet it's burden of proving your guilt beyond reasonable doubt?

Do you feel lucky?

Well, do you?

You also need to talk to your PD about how much time you may actually serve.  Again, I do not practice in Indiana but it appears six years executed may be less than three years actual with good time.  Early release may also be available.  For all these reasons, you need to talk to the PD about what the actual time in prison will be.