Sign in to follow this  
Maddygurl

House purchase with inherited funds

Hello~

In the past year, I have received money, which was inherited.   It was all placed into a bank account which only has my name on it.    My husband and I are purchasing a new home.  I am using my inheritance for the down payment.   I am not planning on getting a divorce.  However,  I would like my husband to sign a document saying if we do divorce, the house would be mine, and he would not have a claim to it.    He has verbally agreed to this arrangement, but I would like it in writing too.   However, I would rather not get an attorney involved.  My life would be much easier if it could be a very simple form we can both sign.   

Could someone please direct me to a form I could use?

Thank you!

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/minnesota-law/minnesota-marital-property-laws.html

It isn't going to be that easy because you are simply making a down payment on the house. Assuming that he will be putting a dime into it he would be stupid to sign such a document. And getting one that would hold up in court a decade down the road isn't going to be a form you can use.

You would both need legal counsel preferably separate legal counsel. 

1 hour ago, Maddygurl said:

However, I would rather not get an attorney involved.

Let me get this straight.  You want to create a document that you hope will be binding in a situation in which you and your husband are adverse to each other but you don't want to involve a legal professional?  That makes about as much sense as saying that you want to drive your car on a cross country trip in which you intend to drive through deserts and snow and floods and swamps but you don't want to have your car looked at ahead of time by a mechanic.

My life would be much easier if it could be a very simple form we can both sign.

Indeed.  Simple is great until you want to try and enforce something.

Could someone please direct me to a form I could use?

I'm sure you can find tons of post-nuptial agreements online by conducting a simple google search.

Assuming you haven't figured it out by this point, you would be beyond foolish not to at least consult with a local family law attorney.

Yes, we are both listed on the mortgage and deed.   I'm considering changing the title and/or doing a quit claim deed.   However, if we don't divorce and I die (of natural causes!) I'm fine with him having the house.  I'm not sure if he wasn't on the title, if he could have the house, if I pass away.

I have consulted with an attorney.   For my situation and circumstances, I need to keep this as simple as possible.