Sign in to follow this  
TruNativeBeauty

Can companies report to bureau without authorization

I purchased some furniture through a company who didn’t report to the credit bureaus. This was the whole purpose of choosing this company. I have a contract that outlines my repayment method. Nowhere in the contract does it state that they will report payment activity to major bureaus. Is this legal and is there anyway to keep them from reporting. My account is in good standing but I did not want anything new on my credit. What are my options? 

Thanks

1 - That they didn't report doesn't mean that they won't.

2 - There's nothing to prevent them from reporting unless your contract specifies that they don't report. Even that won't prevent reporting. It would only give you a cause of action to seek damages, if you incur any.

3 - Why would you object to something positive going on your credit report as long as your account remains in good standing?

4 - If you default on the contract, they can send it to collections and the collection agency would put it on your credit reports even if the company doesn't.

5 - Your options? If you don't want stuff going on your credit report don't buy stuff on credit. Save up and pay cash. Otherwise, you are not going to have control over what gets reported to credit bureaus.

56 minutes ago, TruNativeBeauty said:

I purchased some furniture through a company who didn’t report to the credit bureaus.

I assume this was a credit sale.  Correct?  What made you believe that this company didn't report?

56 minutes ago, TruNativeBeauty said:

This was the whole purpose of choosing this company.

Was the company aware of this before you made the purchase?  Does the contract contain any sort of agreement about not reporting?

58 minutes ago, TruNativeBeauty said:

Nowhere in the contract does it state that they will report payment activity to major bureaus.

Does it say that it won't do so?

59 minutes ago, TruNativeBeauty said:

Is this legal

Subject to how you answer my questions above, it almost certainly is.

59 minutes ago, TruNativeBeauty said:

is there anyway to keep them from reporting.

Again, subject to how you answer my questions, unlikely.

1 hour ago, TruNativeBeauty said:

What are my options?

Likely, pay the account or refinance.