Sign in to follow this  
Chudson

Weber Grill Fire

On Friday June 21st I was grilling out a steak and some chicken on my Weber Spirit grill. I let them cook for about 6 minutes then came out and flipped them over. Went back into the house for another 6 minutes and came out to my grill flaring up. I opened the top and took the food off but the grill was still flaring. I think it is a design issue that allows some of the grease to puddle on the bottom of the grill. So I turned the gas off at the burners but the grill was still hot so I thought I would wait to turn the gas off at the tank until it has cooled down some. I did leave the lid up. I went back into the house for about 5 minutes and then heard a sound not quite like and explosion but close and my backyard lit up like daylight. Fire was coming out of the grill from the top and the front. The flames were shooting out about 15 feet up and 15 feet out. Not only did the grill burn up but it melted a chair, the railing behind the grill, the top on our hot tub which is about 10 feet away, and the cover on our fire pit. I was able to put the fire out with a water hose but we did call the fire department and they came over to help with the hot spots. It even burned under our deck. The fireman said that we were very lucky to have had the grill that far away from the house or our house would have caught fire. And if I had been standing in front of the grill when it went off I would not be writing you this letter.

I contacted Weber on June the 22nd and have had several phone calls with them asking me the same questions and I sent them the pictures. Today is July 17th and I’m still waiting for a resolution. My question is do I have a case to at least recover the damages? 

You might well be able to recover damages. They may well be reduced due to your own negligence when you left it burning with the gas not turned off at the source.

How much do you think your total damages are? 

1 hour ago, Chudson said:

I contacted [the manufacturer] on June the 22nd and have had several phone calls with them asking me the same questions

The same questions as what?  Your post doesn't mention any questions.

do I have a case to at least recover the damages?

Probably, and I strongly suspect you'll be offered some payment.  Given that it's been over three weeks, I suggest a follow up call.

47 minutes ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

They may well be reduced due to your own negligence when you left it burning with the gas not turned off at the source.

While it's possible that the manufacturer could try to low-ball the OP for this reason, I think it's a bit of a stretch.  Given that this sounds like less than $1k in damage, I doubt the company will play around with it.

The deck is going to cost 600.00 to repair. Hot Tub cover is 350.00. Railing behind the grill around 100.00 and the chair was 40.00. And I could not turn it off at the source because the tank is under the grill and the grill was very hot at the time. That is why I turned it off at the dials and opened the lid so the flareup would burn out. But I will try them one more time. Then I will contact the AG for ILL and see if he/she will do anything. 

I keep a spray bottle full of water near the grill when I'm grilling fatty foods in case there is a flare.  Water is not the best solution for grease fires but It does subdue the flames a little.  I would prefer not to.use a fire extinguisher.

Did your grease fire continue to burn even after you left the grill alone?  Did you determine where the flames were coming from?

Why would the AG be involved at this point?  If they don't respond you need to sue them.  You could also contact your homeowners insurance and make a claim and they may well decide to sue Weber.

I still think it is questionable judgment to walk away from an uncontrolled grease fire. 

Then I will contact the AG for ILL and see if he/she will do anything.

The AG isn't going to do anything about a single incident of a potential product defect.  The AG might do something if it has had dozens or hundreds of complaints about this product.

I will try them one more time

Who are you talking to at the manufacturer? Positions, not names? If you are talking to customer service people you may be wasting your time. I suggest you go to the top and deal directly with the people who run the company. The company information is from the IL Secty of State website:

Corporation/LLC Search/Certificate of Good Standing

LLC File Detail Report

File Number
Entity Name
WEBER-STEPHEN PRODUCTS LLC
Status
ACTIVE on Friday, 16 November 2018

Entity Information

Entity Type
LLC
Type of LLC
Foreign
File Date
Monday, 22 November 2010
Jurisdiction
DE

Agent Information

Name
ABRAHAM LINCOLN
Address
234 MAIN STREET
METROPOLIS, 62960
Principal Office
234 MAIN STREET
METROPOLIS IL, 62960
Agent Change Date
Monday, 22 November 2010
Duration
PERPETUAL
Annual Report Filing Date
Friday, 16 November 2018
For Year
Managers
File Number
Entity Name
WEBER-STEPHEN PRODUCTS LLC
Status
ACTIVE on Friday, 16 November 2018

Entity Information

Principal Office
1415 S. ROSELLE ROAD
PALATINE, IL 600670000
Entity Type
LLC
Type of LLC
Foreign
File Date
Monday, 22 November 2010
Jurisdiction
DE
Duration
PERPETUAL

Agent Information

Name
C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
Address
208 SO LASALLE ST, SUITE 814
CHICAGO , IL 60604
Change Date
Monday, 22 November 2010

Annual Report

For Year
Filing Date
Friday, 16 November 2018

Managers

Name
Address
BUSH, WILLIAM R.
401 N MICHIGAN AVE, STE 3100
CHICAGO, IL 60611
Name
Address
STEPHEN, JAMES C.
1415 SOUTH ROSELLE ROAD
PALATINE, IL 600670000
Name
Address
GRYN, LEONARD S.
3410 VANTAGE LN
GLENVIEW, IL 600250000
Name
Address
STEPHEN, WILLIAM F
1415 S ROSELLE RD
PALATINE, IL 600670000
Name
Address
KEMPSTER, MICHAEL J.
1415 SOUTH ROSELLE ROAD
ROLLING MEADOWS, IL 600080000
Name
Address
RAINKO, KELLY D.
401 N MICHIGAN AVE/STE 3100
CHICAGO, IL 60611
Name
Address
DILLS, JOHN
401 N MICHIGAN AVE/STE 3100
CHICAGO, IL 60611
Name
Address
SCOTT JR., HAROLD LEE
2735 GULF OF MEXICO DR
LONGBOAT KEY, FL 34228
Name
Address
TRULASKE, STEVEN L.
2001 EAST TERRA LANE
O'FALLON, MO 63366
Name
Address
CONGALTON, SUSAN T
380 SINGLETREE ROAD
EDWARDS, CO 816320000
Name
Address
SCHOEB, MICHAEL D
4450 BELLHAVEN LANE
OSHKOSH, WI 549040000
Name
Address
SCHERZINGER, CHRIS
1415 S ROSELLE RD
PALATINE, IL 600670000

Assumed Name

ACTIVE
WEBER GRILLS

1 hour ago, adjusterjack said:

Who are you talking to at the manufacturer? Positions, not names? If you are talking to customer service people you may be wasting your time. I suggest you go to the top and deal directly with the people who run the company.

LOL.  This is a multi-million dollar company.  The folks at the top aren't going to deal with a minor customer service issue.

2 hours ago, pg1067 said:

LOL.  This is a multi-million dollar company.  The folks at the top aren't going to deal with a minor customer service issue.

LOL, yourself. I've had occasional successes in writing to the top of the food chain. Naturally, I don't expect the top person to respond but things get done by people with a lot more authority than the 800 number customer service flunkies. Enough successes that I don't hesitate to bypass the front lines if I don't get positive results.