Sign in to follow this  
Data-Sprocket

Language discrimination

I do not know what to do.  I work for a large multinational company based in the US.  Everyone in my group are based in France except for my direct boss and myself.  I have found out that due to the time and preferred language (french) of the meeting my boss and I have not been included in meetings.  During these meetings, future projects are discussed and assigned.  

I feel like I am being excluded and my exposure to future projects is being limited due to my lack of being in the Paris office and my inability to speak french.  French was not a required skill to the position.  A project that I spent a lot of time looking into that did not get funding lasr year just got given to a woman in the Paris office.

For honesty, I have also had a couple of difficult months at work.  I have had difficulty fitting in to the culture here.   I originally came from a start-up type culture where we did not need lean charters, project managers, endless meetings, etc. But I have tried and always had good reviews.  I had a child and had a seriously ill parent that I took care of (my parent is fully recovered now)  

I do not know what I should do or if I am just being sensitive.

1 hour ago, Data-Sprocket said:

I work for a large multinational company based in the US.  Everyone in my group are based in France except for my direct boss and myself.

And you and your boss are based where?  For the time being, I'll assume you're in the U.S.

1 hour ago, Data-Sprocket said:

I do not know what I should do

What you've described is not in any way illegal.  That French wasn't a "required skill" doesn't mean you're guaranteed that not knowing it won't pose roadblocks.  That being said, I agree with the prior response.

Anyone can learn to speak French. It doesn't require that you be of French origin. I don't know if you're being sensitive or not, but I can tell you that nothing illegal is going on. If not knowing French is a problem for you in your job, then I have two words for you - Rosetta Stone.

Thank you for all of your responses.   

It isn't only not being able to speak French since I can Google translate the meeting notes.   It is also being left out of meetings since I do not share an office with the team.  I am not willing to leave NYC to move to Paris. 

I am looking for a new job. 

not sharing an office is the reason you are left out of meetings...and it sounds like the reason you aren't in those meetings is because you refuse to move to Paris.  That has nothing to do with your language or heritage or race.