Sign in to follow this  
apulcine

Neighbor is a chronic smoker

Neighbor is a chronic smoker and it is seeping into my apartment. I have now purchased two air purifiers that are not helping. I have plugged up an area I thought the smell was coming from and it only helped a little bit. I have had bronchitis 4 times due to second hand smoke in the past but have only lived here for four months and am worried I'll get it again. I have no health insurance. The smell is seeping into my furniture, my clothes and my paintings which will be hard to sell if they reek of smoke. The smell makes it difficult to breathe, causes me to sneeze, cough and sometimes wakes me up from sleep. I am obviously also worried this will kill my bird. The landlord already told me he can't make them stop because they are grandfathered in since they have lived here for 14 years. I do not have the time, money or energy to move again due to a smoking neighbor. There has to be something that can be done. 

22 minutes ago, apulcine said:

There has to be something that can be done.

You seem not to want to do the most obvious thing that can be done (move).  You can, if you like, sue your neighbor for nuisance.