Hey y’all! 

The skinny is, back in march I had applied internally to a higher position. I made it to the last round, did phenomenal, and didn’t get any negative feedback (which I hate since I like to learn. After the process, I learned from a buddy that he had also applied to the same position, and got eliminated first round. 

A new position opened up recently, and I got an immediate declination from recruiting stating “we as a philosophy expect you applicants applying to relevant roles wait six months to reflect on your feedback from the application process.” After my denial, I found out that they let my buddy interview, who had been in the same hiring process as me! How is that ok?

He was denied first round for “not letting his boss know he was entering an application,” but the position is the same as our bosses, so should she even be able to be a part of the process? 

They also very quickly removed all the men from the hiring process. Not sure if that’s significant, but something really feels wrong about everything.

One of the women in the last round has only been at the company 6 months, which doesn’t even meet the requirement of “12 months in your current position” on the application, and my bud and I have been in our positions almost two years.. is it worth bringing up to HR? There’s just sooo many fishy stuff going on. 

Thanks for listening!

You did not specify in what state you work nor did you specify whether you work for a government agency or a private company. Assuming it is private employment then the law does not regulate the specific details of how a company must do promotions. The company can use pretty much any method except that it cannot engage in illegal discrimination in making the selections. Under federal law that means refusing promotion based on race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, age (if the employee is at least age 40), disability, or genetic test information is illegal. Some states add other protected characteristics like sexual orientation, marital status, etc. The fact that only women made it to the final round does not itself tell that the employer discriminated based on sex. It may be that all the men simply didn't meet what the company required.

1 hour ago, Morschhauser111 said:

How is that ok?

Not really sure what this question is supposed to mean.  If I substitute the word "legal" for the word "ok," then the answer is that everything is legally unless made expressly illegal by some law.

He was denied first round for “not letting his boss know he was entering an application,” but the position is the same as our bosses, so should she even be able to be a part of the process?

If you're asking whether it's legal for your boss to be part of the process, the answer is yes (assuming, as mentioned in the prior response, that we're talking about a private employer and not some government agency).

They also very quickly removed all the men from the hiring process. Not sure if that’s significant, but something really feels wrong about everything.

If done intentionally, then this would be illegal (unless the position involves spying on a women's sports team or something like that).

is it worth bringing up to HR?

No one on an internet message board has any insight into what might be "worth it" to you.