Sign in to follow this  
AZ-native

Selling apparel containing trademarked things on them online that is imported

I think I understand what there is to know about copyrights and trademarks, although as an idea of an online retail store comes to mind I can't help but ask a few questions:

1- If I buy product from another country and sell online (which has the trademarked images) would I be able to use the First Sale Doctrine in my defense if a company tries to sue me for trademark infringement?

2- How would I go about getting verification that a company has a trademark license, and confirming, to produce the apparel?

3- Is there a disclaimer that I can post on the website I plan to build to let any trademark owners know that I am a reseller, not a producer? If so, anything specific that needs to be input within the disclaimer? 

4- Would I also have to obtain a trademark license from the company in order to post them online? Even if I fall under the First Sale Doctrine criteria, although I won't be in direct contact with any of the products

On another note:
5- Will I need to obtain an EIN and create a business entity (LLC) if I were to go forward, prior to the site going live? Although it won't be my main source of income for the near future

The "first sale doctrine" only applies if you purchased the item from the trademark owner.  It clearly does not apply if you are selling counterfeit articles.  That leads me to suspect you do not 

13 minutes ago, AZ-native said:

think I understand what there is to know about copyrights and trademarks

3 hours ago, AZ-native said:

Will I need to obtain an EIN and create a business entity (LLC) if I were to go forward, prior to the site going live?

Not necessarily. An LLC is a disregarded entity for income tax purposes. You would use your own SSN and attach Schedules C and SE to your return. Nor will an LLC protect you from being sued personally for trademark infringement.

Would I also have to obtain a trademark license from the company in order to post them online?

The best and safest route is to get consent from the manufacturer even if it means buying a license. An infringement lawsuit can put you into the poorhouse just from defense costs even if you haven't done anything wrong.

If you aren't willing to do it right, don't do it.

If I buy product from another country and sell online (which has the trademarked images) would I be able to use the First Sale Doctrine in my defense if a company tries to sue me for trademark infringement?

Is the product licensed by the owner of the trademark?  If not, the answer is no.  Also, I'm not sure what "tries to sue" might mean.

How would I go about getting verification that a company has a trademark license, and confirming, to produce the apparel?

By asking the seller for a copy of the license.

Is there a disclaimer that I can post on the website I plan to build to let any trademark owners know that I am a reseller, not a producer?

You can use all the disclaimers you like.  Whether they'll do you any good is impossible to know in the abstract.

Would I also have to obtain a trademark license from the company in order to post them online?

In most cases, if the product is properly licensed, no.

Will I need to obtain an EIN and create a business entity (LLC) if I were to go forward, prior to the site going live?

You don't "need to . . . create a business entity," and you only need an EIN if you create a corporation or an LLC.